Sponsored

JK May Become "Wrangler Classic"

JKguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU Rubicon, '03 GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel, 1995 YJ Laredo
Vehicle Showcase
Just read an article saying that the JK may still be produced while the JL is produced. It will supposedly be named the "Wrangler Classic"
Sponsored

Reactions: JAY

The Doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler Unlimited, Future JT Pickup (hopefully)
I think they mentioned the JK and JL would be produced alongside one another at the Toledo plant. First time I've heard that name tho. Strange calling it a classic already but aren't they all.. :)

Work

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Willys Wheeler Granite Crystal
I believe the rumor is that there will be two lines running side by side. At first the new line will make JL's while the old line continues making JK's. Then JK production will wind down and the line will be updated to start producing JT's.

OP
OP
JKguy

JKguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the rumor is that there will be two lines running side by side. At first the new line will make JL's while the old line continues making JK's. Then JK production will wind down and the line will be updated to start producing JT's.
That's essentially what the article said

4X4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door Sport S 4X4, 1956 Jeep CJ5
That means there will be more parts for JK wranglers so its a good thing if it is true

Sponsored

Nmp212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 RAM 1500
That makes sense and is often how it's done when a new model is introduced. I'm assuming the "wrangler classic" bit is just an internal reference and not some JK last hurrah edition or anything like that.

sportcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars? A Jeep isn't a "car"
2017 isn't the end of the JK. There will be a 2018 JK built along side the 2018 JL.

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
If the JK is built and sold alongside the JL then what does this mean for pricing?

I hope it means they'll drop the JK pricing while pricing the JL at the current pricing, rather than raising pricing for the JL model. I can't see them pricing the JK and JL at the same price while selling both.

Biker Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Monster
I dont think I've ever seen two different versions of the same car with same model year being built simultaneously but on different platforms like that. A special edition maybe but as part of the regular line up? Strange decision. Almost like telling its buyers even the company itself is not sure it's ready for change.

OP
OP
JKguy

JKguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I dont think I've ever seen two different versions of the same car with same model year being built simultaneously but on different platforms like that. A special edition maybe but as part of the regular line up? Strange decision. Almost like telling its buyers even the company itself is not sure it's ready for change.
Yeah, it seems like that. But it might just be an internal name for the 2018 JK.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Could be because the JL isn't/won't be ready.

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Could be because the JL isn't/won't be ready.
My thinking too. Production is usually right around early Sept. Apparently JL production won't start until late next year so it could be just a few months overlap. We'll see.

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
My thinking too. Production is usually right around early Sept. Apparently JL production won't start until late next year so it could be just a few months overlap. We'll see.
Man I didn't realize how much longer we have until the JL actually starts production. We're looking at another year until they hit dealers then?

Biker Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Monster
I wouldn't put much stock in this. I just came across the article on Jalopnik and it seems to be total conjecture by the author.

"It’s also been hypothesized (by me) that Jeep may continue to sell the current Wrangler as a “Wrangler Classic” for the first year that the new vehicle is introduced, most probably late 2017."

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/first-2018-jeep-wrangler-spied-sure-looks-like-the-old-1774611375

Probably just going to be a transition period between the JK and JL.

Corduroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Cherokee
So check this out. I think this is the overlap in JK/JL production that everyone is talking about.

Also mentions retooling for the JL begins next March and production starts mid year.

JK Wrangler’s final act: Special editions

Sales of limited-run models start in Dec.

Jeep Wrangler JL JK May Become "Wrangler Classic" {filename}

DETROIT -- Jeep is stretching out consumer interest in the outgoing JK Wrangler by offering a number of special limited-edition packages over the next year while consumers await the arrival of the redesigned JL Wrangler in the second half of 2017.

The first two limited runs -- the 2017 Wrangler Sport Freedom edition and 2017 Wrangler Sahara Winter edition -- were detailed to dealers in their November ordering books.

Both go on sale in December, with the Freedom edition running only until February, and the Winter edition scheduled to run until May, according to dealer ordering information seen by Automotive News. A Jeep spokesman declined to comment.

The moves follow Jeep's tradition of using limited-edition models to keep demand for the Wrangler strong. Wrangler sales in the U.S. are on the decline for the first time since the Great Recession this year as consumers await what promises to be a more fuel-efficient but still-capable replacement for the off-roader.

The Wrangler Sport Freedom edition will come with Freedom star hood and rear fender decals, an American flag driver side front fender decal and other interior and exterior badging. It will also feature 18-inch Sahara mid-gloss granite crystal wheels, a new rear heavy-duty cast differential cover, black fuel filter cover and taillamp guards. The sticker price will be $30,690 for the two-door Sport Freedom edition, and $34,590 for the four-door Wrangler Unlimited Sport Freedom edition, both including shipping.

The Wrangler Sahara Winter edition features new LED headlamps and fog lamps, standard remote start (with the automatic transmission), premium off-road rock rails and a standard hard top, with optional body coloring. It comes adorned with hood, driver side fender and rear fender decals, along with other special badging and accents. The sticker price will be $37,440 for the two-door Wrangler Sahara Winter edition, and $41,240 for the four-door Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Winter edition, including shipping.

Later in 2017, Jeep plans to offer other limited-run editions. However, their detailed specifications have yet to be announced. According to internal sources, they include:

• A Sport Big Bear edition, available from February until July

• A Sahara Chief edition, available from March until June

• A Sahara Smoky Mountain edition, available from March until July

• A Rubicon Recon edition, which will replace the Rubicon Hard Rock when it ends production in February. It is scheduled to be available until JK production ends in September 2017.

The JK Wrangler has been in production since 2006 and has undergone several upgrades over the years to improve its interior and powertrain. Despite its age, the Wrangler has remained one of the brand's best-selling vehicles, with U.S. sales more than doubling since 2010 to more than 202,000 last year with little or no incentives. Through October of this year, however, Wrangler sales have slipped 5.7 percent.

Production of the JL Wrangler -- which will have an available eight-speed automatic transmission, an available turbocharged four-cylinder engine and a more aerodynamic shape to greatly increase fuel economy -- is scheduled to begin in mid-2017.

The JL Wrangler will be built at Fiat Chrysler's Toledo Assembly Complex after the portion of the plant that currently builds the unibody Jeep Cherokee is retooled, beginning in March, for body-on-frame construction.

FCA will begin a limited retooling of its Belvidere Assembly plant in Illinois next month to continue producing the Jeep Cherokee.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...kerNews+(Automotive+News+Automaker+News+Feed)
Sponsored