Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door: Our Digital Preview!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Though, temper that with FCA reusing color codes for different colors. For example, Tank reused the color code that previous was a metallic green.
Not on the Wrangler there hasn’t, just when comparing to much MUCH older combo codes and just using only part of it instead of the true 2-piece colour code.

Everyone refers to the examples from the old Dodge/Plymouth/Eagle palette without including the second colour code. For ‘Deep Green’ it wasn’t just PGK, it was PGK added with another colour code G36. And that’s where the confusion comes, if the colour has a 2 code combination for mettalic or pearlescence or whatever, or just one code. I have yet to see a mismatch where they use just a single color code.

It was also never a Wrangler colour either, let alone a modern Wrangler colour, so it’s not really the same as comparing a colour code from 5 years ago from a Wrangler to an Doge/Plymouth/Eagle colour from over 20years ago. So it’s not like comparing Solar Yellow to GoBananas on the Charger, or PlumCrazy to Extreme/Xtreme Purple.

Now of course FCA could break with Wrangler tradition and make it another colour, but even then it’s not like it’s going to end up looking like Detonator Yellow or Orange Crush vs looking very similar to Dozer.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What about Nacho?

I still can't figure out if Nacho is a yellowy-orange or an orangy-yellow.
Can’t tell you how it will appear to you, as a former Dozer owner, it’s one of the more hotly contested colours out there especially depending on light levels and what’s next to it (put it beside Crush and it’s obviously Yellow, put it beside Baja, and it must be Orange), but simply put it’s a Yellow according to FCA.

When it comes to colour naming it would be Primary first and Secondary second in the description, so it would always be Yellow-Orange until it was either pure Orange or moved to Red-Orange.

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I would be pretty disappointed if Jeep doesn’t bring any special and distinctive colors to market at launch. Carrying over a ton of JK colors is underwhelming. Vehicles like the Wrangler have road presence, so special colors pop that much more when it’s an all new model. Look at the new Ford Raptor. So many unique and distinctive colors in the first MY such as Avalanche.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Not on the Wrangler there hasn’t, just when comparing to much MUCH older combo codes and just using only part of it instead of the true 2-piece colour code.

Everyone refers to the examples from the old Dodge/Plymouth/Eagle palette without including the second colour code. For ‘Deep Green’ it wasn’t just PGK, it was PGK added with another colour code G36. And that’s where the confusion comes, if the colour has a 2 code combination for mettalic or pearlescence or whatever, or just one code. I have yet to see a mismatch where they use just a single color code.

It was also never a Wrangler colour either, let alone a modern Wrangler colour, so it’s not really the same as comparing a colour code from 5 years ago from a Wrangler to an Doge/Plymouth/Eagle colour from over 20years ago. So it’s not like comparing Solar Yellow to GoBananas on the Charger, or PlumCrazy to Extreme/Xtreme Purple.

Now of course FCA could break with Wrangler tradition and make it another colour, but even then it’s not like it’s going to end up looking like Detonator Yellow or Orange Crush vs looking very similar to Dozer.
OK. Can you cite just one "modern" Wrangler color, that was retired and later brought back under a new name?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK. Can you cite just one "modern" Wrangler color, that was retired and later brought back under a new name?
2014's Plum Crazy that retired before it arrrived and was reborn as 2016's Extreme Purple err.. 2017's Xtreme Purple. ;)

I'd have to check on a PC to do a quick search from the lists, but it's not unlikely.

The name change may be partly related to the Dozer paint recall and payback, that's an unusual issue as well, so renaming it Nacho instead of Dozer makes sense with that history.

Again the point being, it will either be Dozer or closer to Dozer than any other shade, unless you think it's going to be like Crush Orange or Solar Yellow.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Though, temper that with FCA reusing color codes for different colors. For example, Tank reused the color code that previous was a metallic green.
Talk about confusing a body shop! Tank and the old metallic green were absolutely nothing alike. So to use the same codes for both is crazy.

My last JKU was Dozer colored and I always saw it as yellow but my sales lady swore that it was orange. It was one of those colors that screws with people who have slight color-blindness and causes people to see it differently.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014's Plum Crazy that retired before it arrrived and was reborn as 2016's Extreme Purple err.. 2017's Xtreme Purple. ;)

I'd have to check on a PC to do a quick search from the lists, but it's not unlikely.

The name change may be partly related to the Dozer paint recall and payback, that's an unusual issue as well, so renaming it Nacho instead of Dozer makes sense with that history.

Again the point being, it will either be Dozer or closer to Dozer than any other shade, unless you think it's going to be like Crush Orange or Solar Yellow.
We here in the forum-land called the rumored purple paint color, Plum Crazy. I don't think Jeep ever did. Matter of fact, I remember Jeep mentioning that Dodge does retro, not Jeep, when asked about all those cool 60's colors Dodge was re-introducing. If Jeep was into retro, we'll all be waiting for the announcement of the all new CJ-18. :D

I think this new paint color will be close to nachos, and with that, somewhere in the same color family as Dozer. Possibly something like Gecko is to Hypergreen, as Dozer is to Nacho. All I am sure of today, is that I am just not willing at this point to go solely by paint codes (fool me once...) .

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Talk about confusing a body shop! Tank and the old metallic green were absolutely nothing alike. So to use the same codes for both is crazy.
I remember back with one of my old Firebirds. GM used slightly different paint formulas at different factories. So, they not only needed to know my model year, paint color name, and paint code, but also which factory it was produced, before being able to mix up some matching paint.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We here in the forum-land called the rumored purple paint color, Plum Crazy.
But Milous and Pat be Gods... and have the final word... until things change, and then they are Fickle Gods !!
Yeah, I realize that, but I was sure I saw it also mentioned on one of the Sept 1st Wrangler Press to see a good purple in the mix (no pun intended), however I can't find that mention, unlike Acid which actually did make it to official FCA literature/statements.

If Jeep was into retro, we'll all be waiting for the announcement of the all new CJ-18.
Yeah, but C'mon, you KNOW you woulda been all over the CJ-18,if just for the indicator lights alone. ;)

I think this new paint color will be close to nachos, and with that, somewhere in the same color family as Dozer. Possibly something like Gecko is to Hypergreen, as Dozer is to Nacho. All I am sure of today, is that I am just not willing at this point to go solely by paint codes (fool me once...) .
I don't disagree, and really Dozer is the worst colour to go off of, not only does it's perceived hue change based on light/shade as if it were colour-shift paint, initial batches weren't even correct, so even comparing to an early 2012 Dozer wouldn't be a definitive answer even without sun bleaching and colour aging / fading. :sun:

Anywhoo, as a former owner of a Dozer Rubi that I loved, I hope it's damn close to Dozer based on my assumptions regarding the colour codes. :like:

Phenomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Maybe I am in the minority here, but I don't like the color match roof. I see quite a few of them out there, but to me, that color contrast is part of what makes a wrangler a wrangler.
The color match roof looks a lot better on the JLU.
Sponsored