Sponsored

Hi-Line or Standard Flares? Which do you like? Or replace?

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
I can't say I'll keep the factory flares but I like these "more-horizontal" versions much better than the JK "droopy" flares.

I might keep the hi-line flares for the following reasons/conditions:
1. If I like the styling in person.
2. Relatively clean way to remove the turn signals, so I can put turn signals in the grille. This one most likely applies to the hi-line and standard flares but if removal of the turn signals looks like crap, I would not spend extra money on the hi-line version, I'd then go aftermarket. But of course if the hi-lines are standard on the Rubicon. then I'll have no choice. :).
3. Number one reason; totally subjective: The recess in the fender for the side vent looks much better, because the recess is not coincident with the top of the flare. The coincident recess with the top of the standard flare really bugs me.

Potential cons:
1. The front flares are higher than the rear. I'll have to see if that is an issue for me when I see one in person.
2. Either version is not available in flat black. I don't want glossy black on my Billet Silver with flat black top (hopefully).

I'm looking forward to what the after market offers. Hopefully they will offer a hi-line version or some version to deal with the fender recess esthetic I described above. The side recess in the fender is my biggest complaint about the JL. Relocating turn signals should be fairly painless unless they have something under the head lights. Body work and paint to do something about the side recess is a totally different story.
Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
The hi-line look better to me in the pictures, but I'll probably end up with aftermarket narrow fenders. I've had some bad experiences where my plastic fenders touch a dirt wall(In a dried out creek bed) before my wheels and cause damage to the body. Funny enough the plastic fenders only had a scratch, but my sheet metal was pushed in over an inch.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Highline flares and mudflaps for the biggest wind collecting surface area sail possible :captain: ...actually on the cottage JL this may indeed be the combo again just because it’s principally for short cottage errands and low hwy miles, and snow management will be key.

Daily driver JLU will likely be normal flares unmoded, but still need to see in person. I do wish you could get brush based mudflaps fairly easily, because the flexibility on trails and lower wind resistance than traditional flare might work well enough. Hwoever, likely just stick with nothing for DD.

6605670D-CBB0-4980-96B9-D51CB7E41826.jpeg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I like the high line flares, hands down, over the lower ones, based on the pictures. I'll run front mud guards, too, just like on my JK. They greatly reduce the amount of crap hitting the side and rocker panel, and they flex even on the toughest, rockiest terrain (mine survived Moab with no damage). On top of that, they didn't cost my JK any fuel economy, at all. I hope the high flare looks as good in person as it does in the pics.

Brandon Grant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ
I really like the high lines and was dead set on getting black fenders but now I am leaning more towards color match fenders. Billet silver fenders with the black trim line around the edge looks really good to me. I'll just have to put 3m film on them to protect the paint.

3. Number one reason; totally subjective: The recess in the fender for the side vent looks much better, because the recess is not coincident with the top of the flare. The coincident recess with the top of the standard flare really bugs me.
I agree. The recess vent looks odd when aligned to the top of the standard flares.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I perfer the highline flares hands down. But I'm going to have to compare the cost as an option vs the cost of aftermarket before making a decision.

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
HILINE! Just looks so much better and all that extra tire clearance.

2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-rubicon-jlwranglerforums-1-jpg.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
nowandthen

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
These renders' fenders >>>>>>
the camo'd mules' fenders.
wrangler-2018-d2-jpg.jpg

2018-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-rendering.jpg

Pure body colored fenders, with no charcoal grey lip, Should be an option, FCA is sleepwalking backwards into the 90's if they're not. Every leaked fender I have seen looks mad dated both lens, and charcoal lip.

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
What is wrong with these fenders which are entirely body colored ? If those grey lipped fenders are the only option, FCA is sleepwalking backwards into the 90's
As someone with both black and body coloured fenders on the same Wrangler, the primary issue is that the single/solid body coloured fenders just don’t make it pop the way they do if the fenders are black or the have a grey/black accent.

I hate the current body colour fenders (and top), but I would definitely consider, and possibly prefer the new two tone version of the fenders.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I couldn't disagree more.
Plain charcoal Plastic bumpers are great for tearing up on trail and not caring about scratches and replacing if need be for $50. I get that and don't want them to not be one of many options.

But to say charcoal plastic pops better than Bright/vibrant-color/metallic paint ..... I can't even slightly cosign.

Bright/vibrant/metallic paint has & will always pop more than plain charcoal black plastic.
The perceivably cheapest, lowest quality elements on any wrangler, to the common persons eyes & hands are as follows:

Plastic bumpers
Plastic fenders

I get the relative utility/replacability. But design-wise, nah. Hard naaaaaahh.

The JK's body color top and body colored fenders, may not be your cup of tea, but do you really think body colored everything should not be available ? Hell, I'm gonna body-color plasti-dip my front skid plate.

As someone who currently owns a 750li BMW, and has owned Benz S-Class, Jaguar XJR, etc I know great auto styling/design.

A higher end fender option LACKING GREY PLASTIC, with a damn LED STRIP LENS that looks like it was MADE IN THE LAST TWO DECADES, would sell well to the general public.

the single/solid body coloured fenders just don’t make it pop the way they do if the fenders are black or the have a grey/black accent.

I hate the current (JK) body colour fenders (and top)
Sponsored

Last edited: