Sponsored

Half doors

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have a completely clear door on my shower. That thing is a b!tch to keep clean. No way would I want something like that on my vehicle. No doubt it would look horrible after one rainy/wet day on the road.
The View, the View ! That's spoiled clear doors for me...
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

Mark12211

Threads
Reaction score
I just want half doors and painted fender flares. It's not asking for too much. It's just not available. You get get a Rubicon with half doors or painted fender flares. But don't you dare try to get them together. My '89 Wrangler Islander had both. I can't live without both.

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Anybody in this forum have the half doors, or have buddies with them? Did you/they for any reason regret getting them? Assuming they still are an option on the JL, I was planning on getting them because I love the way the wrangler looks with them, especially with the window portions off, but I wanted to know what people's experiences have been with them, and whether or not, if they could go back, would get the full metal doors. I have always had the full metal doors, other than buying the complete soft doors on the aftermarket which were a nightmare most of the time, so I am trying to gain some insights. Thanks for any feedback you might have

Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Half doors are nice. Pulling the tops off and stuffing them in the back is easy. Plus the top of the half door is perfect arm rest height.

Downside? Can't lock your Jeep. Pain to open just the window. Fold window in - rubs against your leg/arm. Windows are plastic - they warp, fog, etc in time. They can be loud on the highway.

Another one is that the half doors are easily stolen.

You can't really lock a soft top jeep anyway - so the half door isn't a problem if you have soft/no top all the time.

Most times I just pull off the half doors anyway on nice days.

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
I always thought it would be cool to have doors that are two piece steel. Same lower steel door half with a removable top frame that has an interlock so the window can stay in the lower door but not be active when the top frame is removed.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Think the land rovers series had them. You can get fiberglass uppers for the older Wranglers. Somewhat similar.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Think the land rovers series had them. You can get fiberglass uppers for the older Wranglers. Somewhat similar.
My 1972 Series III Land Rover has two piece metal driver/passenger doors. The door tops are removed by undoing a couple of bolts on each door. The windows obviously don't roll down, rather they are two piece and slide open.

WebDevDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Been a minute... has there been any update on whether or not the JL will have half doors? 'Cuz honestly, that'd make all the difference between me getting a 2018 JKU or waiting for the JL.

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I always thought it would be cool to have doors that are two piece steel. Same lower steel door half with a removable top frame that has an interlock so the window can stay in the lower door but not be active when the top frame is removed.
This would be a dream come true, because then you can get even closer to a true convertible feeling with the top down and only the roll bars above you instead of window frames as well.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I had half doors for 7 years on my YJ. Matt the Hammer is right. There are trade-offs. The open air feeling was no doubt better, which is my priority in a jeep. But they could be a real pain. I had to zip them down to pay tolls or to go through a drive-through. They eventually became opaque and I couldn't see through them at all. But worst of all I made the mistake of locking my doors one night and the neighborhood bums bent them to get to the door lock and open the door. After that they never sit right and were noisy and let in rain. My almost-50 year-old self would just replace them. But my 20-something self just dealt with it.

Long story short I want full doors now.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
While the JL manuals didn't discuss them, I have a feeling they'll be available as an optional add on through Jeep.

Is there requirements that all factory installed doors must be part of crash testing? Maybe the newer rules are making it hard for Jeep to offer them. Regardless, they can't be a huge take on that option. When building a JK now you have to select them in the options. They are a $0 option. Yet they should be cheaper than the full doors and therefore a savings. When the base Wranglers came with half doors standard, the full doors were optional upgrades for some soft topped models.

Now the base JK is a full door soft top. No half door base model anymore.

Similar to optional bike racks and the like Mopar sells under their accessory catalog - I figure the half door with fabric uppers being in that catalog too as an added cost item.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon Unlimited
I went by the dealership today - half doors are definitely not available on this first batch that's available for preorder right now, but supposedly there will be a "trim package" (think Islander / Call of Duty / Mountain / etc.) available after the first of the year and half doors are on one of them. The dealer indicated that half doors would not be an option you could choose when selecting other trims or in a build-your-own configuration, but would be available as part of that trim package. No word on whether the uppers are the same soft uppers we're used to or some other construction.
Sponsored