Sponsored

Ford Ranger Raptor To Compete With The JL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf
Probably more aimed at the Colorado. It's got IFS for one.

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yea it will for sure, as the F150 Raptor has IFS, however, it has factory long travel suspension with different traction control modes (ie sand, snow, crawl, etc). It's still a competitor for people that are not hardcore rock crawlers, and with the JT's worst break over angle, those that are hardcore in to crawling will most likely buy a JL instead.

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf
I hadn't thought of this until now, but I'm assuming Bronco will also have IFS.

I think the coming competition is a good thing though, to keep FCA on their toes.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Completely different markets.

Baby Raptor's not convertible, and the Baby Raptor is not 'sporty' which makes it not even close. The baby Raptor is like the Ford BroncoII , for people who can't afford a Bronco but wanna feel like they 'own a Bronco'

Maybe Compete with the JT, but not the JL, no more than the current Raptor competes with the JK, when really it competes more with the Power Wagon. And the baby Raptor really is more targeted at the Nissan Frontier and Tacoma TRD than the JL.

Bronco may be competition, but it's still nebulous as to what that is. IMO Bronco will be a poor-man's something, but what that is is still unknown.

I think the Defender replacement is the one that will likely challenge the JL, and because it has a chance to take the Export market from the JL just as it has the opportunity to finally enter that market more (finally enough production to allow greater exports, less competition). The defender hitting the market about 2 years after the JL will be the one trying to displace the JL the most.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
That was a typo it was meant to say JT not JL hence why its posted in the JT forum.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
ZR2 and Baby Raptor are $45,000 trucks. You'll be able to buy a JT for thousands of dollars less money and go places neither of these trucks will go. FCA's products (Rubicon and Power Wagon) are built to be brutes that will crawl anything. Raptor/Baby Raptor/ZR2 are designed more toward the high speed desert running crowd. They are two different things, in reality.

However, to the average person, they're all "offroad" vehicles so yes from a purely sales perspective it could spell trouble for Jeep. The last Ranger sold in the U.S. was using a cab that was nearly 20 years old and the truck had only gotten refreshes from 1993 to 2011...yet it was the #2 selling vehicle in the segment. That in itself shows you the name recognition power that Ranger had.

If Ford plays their cards right, it'll be lights out for the competition.

I will still shop the Jeep too before deciding.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah to me, the biggest concern JT-wise is the possibility that it is met with the same reaction the FJ was. Initial remarkable sales that have FCA meeting pent-up demand and seeing ~40K+ the first initial partial year production, then ~60K+ second year, and then a precipitous drop-off after that into the teens.

It will be a solid vehicle, and I have little doubt it will be somewhat capable (the different suspension from the JL shows they are at least thinking this out properly), however... I think it's expensive (not for what it is, but for the segment) and that's a problem where sure there are upscale versions of everything, but still the majority that creates economies of scale and finances the pretty / upscale models is selling boat-loads of the cheap models. This is partly why the mid-size disappeared back when a Dakota or Ranger cost within stone's throw of the 1500/F-150 , I'm concerned about the long-term survival of what still seems like a rather niche product. And it has little to do with what else is out there directly competing so much as the segment and it's place in it in general, even vs another Ram product. Would a Ram/Fiat 500/Toro do better nearer 100K... and also be more competition for moving large #s vs the constant 10-20K the JT might settle at?

I'd be happy to be wrong, I'm just concerned about the 'group think' mentality where we and FCA think it's a great/neat/logical idea, and yet that opinion isn't shared by the buying public at large.

peterjford

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1943 Ford GPW (needs restoration), 1988 Jeep YJ (needs engine), 1999 Jeep XJ (Purple Is The New Chrome), 2007 Chevrolet Suburban (Mom's kid hauler)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah to me, the biggest concern JT-wise is the possibility that it is met with the same reaction the FJ was. Initial remarkable sales that have FCA meeting pent-up demand and seeing ~40K+ the first initial partial year production, then ~60K+ second year, and then a precipitous drop-off after that into the teens.
If I do get a JT, I would not be too concerned if sales dropped off. My biggest worry would be that aftermarket support would not be very good if that did happen. I don't know how good the aftermarket support is for the FJ, so maybe it will not be a problem. Also, the more commonality with the JL, the better, since the JL aftermarket support is going to be huge.

The JT will be a new "daily driver" for me so I won't me modifying it at all... At least, that is what I told my wife.

could someone modify one of the pics of one with ~3 inch lift and 35x12.5 R 17 tires?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I don't think JT sales will fall sharply. They are still the only convertible+4x4 game in town, and as long as they are the only ones who use that formula they will continue to sell them in large numbers.

I'm just saying that trucks like the Ranger Raptor and Colorado ZR2 and Tacoma T(U)RD Pro are going to take a bite out of overall sales for sure because the truth is that they are more practical all around vehicles that still have that bad boy offroad image, and that's what 95% of guys are really after anyway.

Can you tow heavy with a Wrangler? Nope. Haul an ATV in the back of a Wrangler? Nope. I think this is clearly what Jeep is hoping to do with the JT model...fill that gap a little bit and hold onto the shoppers who want a Jeep but need a truck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think JT sales will fall sharply. They are still the only convertible+4x4 game in town, and as long as they are the only ones who use that formula they will continue to sell them in large numbers.

I'm just saying that trucks like the Ranger Raptor and Colorado ZR2 and Tacoma T(U)RD Pro are going to take a bite out of overall sales for sure because the truth is that they are more practical all around vehicles that still have that bad boy offroad image, and that's what 95% of guys are really after anyway.

Can you tow heavy with a Wrangler? Nope. Haul an ATV in the back of a Wrangler? Nope. I think this is clearly what Jeep is hoping to do with the JT model...fill that gap a little bit and hold onto the shoppers who want a Jeep but need a truck.
I hope so. I have been looking at Ram 2500s (with plans to put the AEV Prospector stuff on it) lately an even F150 Raptors, but don't really want to spend that kind of money on a truck. The JT to me would be less money but still should meet most of my needs and not be physically huge since it will be my daily driver again (like my current (JKUR). Only think I'm worried about is the comfort as I just did 11-hour drive to Montana from Boise in the JKU and I was beat from it.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only think I'm worried about is the comfort as I just did 11-hour drive to Montana from Boise in the JKU and I was beat from it.
LOL! Wuss !! ;)

Day 12 of my Cross-Canada 150 trek... 9,500 KMs sofar.. longest stretches two 1,200KM legs of 14hrs.

The trick is to do some serious stretches and even a bit of a walk/jog at fuel stops, or else your feet will swell a bit and your butt muscles will go too.
Also don't cheap out on seats. The 2013 seat upgrade was better than the previous seats, but they are best with the leather bolsters or all leather/katzkin. They aren't as comfortable as the Cadillac XTS seats I had as a company vehicle, but they are better than a few others out there.

I don't expect a major refresh in the seats for the JL or JT, likely a small bump similar to that in 2013 seat refresh.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.