Sponsored

First Look: Production Interior of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU!

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Thank you @Ahmed for pointing out what was hiding in the shadows (but still visible) -- the push button start.

We've labeled it in our image.

Jeep Wrangler JL First Look: Production Interior of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU! {filename}
Sponsored

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Thank you @Ahmed for pointing out what was hiding in the shadows (but still visible) -- the push button start.

We've labeled it in our image.
I am happy to participate in your unique forums with good members
Also proud of your management and bravery for JL Wrangler Administrator

Jeep Wrangler JL First Look: Production Interior of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU! {filename}

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
Nice attention to detail from the designers, anyone else notice the recirculating air button is now a Jeep outline? Right below the A/C button.
Nice touch. These little attentions to detail will make the interior feel even more well resolved and custom for the Wrangler. The windshield could use more rake though to match the JL's windshield..... kidding!

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
IMHO, if Jeep cared enough, and it actually had some talented engineers/designers, it would be pretty easy to have designed waterproof-ness and dust proof-ness into the new JL dash if they started with that as a simple goal.

For example, a simple hidden-away water proof door (kind of like a small garage door) that one needs to simply pull out and over the radio face, would keep water from damaging both the base radio, and their best 8.4n nav system, during that unexpected heavy rain storm when you have the top off.
great idea for aftermarket company to manufacture of jeep doesn't offer this waterproof sealing curtain/door!

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
So this appears to be a base model with manual window, but still appears to have colored match dashboard. Looks like silver paint. Also looks like door stop straps are being used again.
I would prefer manual windows if it meant doors removing in under 3 seconds each. (Unlock B-pillar deadbolts, open door, turn 90', lift vertically 6" to remove off hinge)

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
I think here is the startup button

Do you think that the base model Sport will come with push button start? Or do you think it will it stick with a more traditional key-in-ignition style startup?

Eugene the Jeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU in black
Do you think that the base model Sport will come with push button start? Or do you think it will it stick with a more traditional key-in-ignition style startup?
I bet the base JL will keep the traditional key ignition and the proximity remote system will be packaged together with the push button start. Push button start doesn't make as much sense when you need to take your key fob out to unlock the doors.

Aaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Corvette Stingray
I'm not sure how anyone can call this dash modern. It is extremely retro, and not at all attractive. The wide angle view with the silver looks especially hideous. I'm hoping it won't actually look like that (it is missing the grab handles, so it may be an earlier version) and it will be available in black, even if you don't get black paint. I'd like to get silver, but if the dash is going to look like that, it might be enough to steer me away from a new jeep. I wish they stuck with the recent JK interior, which looks much more modern, but with the welcome additions of keyless entry, push button start, touchscreen with android auto, and backup camera are all very welcome additions.

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
I bet the base JL will keep the traditional key ignition and the proximity remote system will be packaged together with the push button start. Push button start doesn't make as much sense when you need to take your key fob out to unlock the doors.
That's what I was thinking
I'm not sure how anyone can call this dash modern. It is extremely retro, and not at all attractive. The wide angle view with the silver looks especially hideous. I'm hoping it won't actually look like that (it is missing the grab handles, so it may be an earlier version) and it will be available in black, even if you don't get black paint. I'd like to get silver, but if the dash is going to look like that, it might be enough to steer me away from a new jeep. I wish they stuck with the recent JK interior, which looks much more modern, but with the welcome additions of keyless entry, push button start, touchscreen with android auto, and backup camera are all very welcome additions.
I mean the point of the Wrangler is to be retro so the interior is actually pretty fitting. It's a throwback to all the previous Wranglers with a modern touch. I actually quite like it a lot but I agree with you that it should be an option to have it all black. If not, there is always vynil wrapping as a possible solution.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
(it is missing the grab handles, so it may be an earlier version)
Driver grab handle and 'Oh Shizzle Bar' are both clearly visible.

if the dash is going to look like that, it might be enough to steer me away from a new jeep.
If that's what you're basing your buying decision on, it's probably not the right vehicle for you to begin with. That would be like not buying the Corvette and buying a BRZ or MX5 instead because the Vette didn't have the right colour seats. :surprised:

Aaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Corvette Stingray
Driver grab handle and 'Oh Shizzle Bar' are both clearly visible.

If that's what you're basing your buying decision on, it's probably not the right vehicle for you to begin with. That would be like not buying the Corvette and buying a BRZ or MX5 instead because the Vette didn't have the right colour seats. :surprised:
No, A-pillar grab handles are not visible in the wide angle image (with the silver dash), which is the one I was referring to.

Funny you should mention the vette. I did buy the c7 vette, for many reasons, in part because it finally has a sleek, quality, modern interior befitting a high performance sports car. I do recognize part of the appeal of the jeep to many people is it's classic exterior. I appreciate that as well, I just don't want to step backward. I like the JK and was hoping to see only subtle changes that modernize it in terms of the infotainment system, ignition, and gas mileage .... oh and a power top. They appear to have done most of these as far as I can tell, which I greatly appreciate, but I think the dash design is a step backward from the JK. Ultimately this is just a personal preference though. I'll hold out to see what it looks like in person.

Last edited:

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I think it will be exactly the same for Grand Cherokee.
All the systems that have been transferred to the JL, now we have two images (A) and (B)
Images (A) All the buttons are clear except the number 1 only!
Photo (B) The four-wheel drives are semi-visible but remain number 2 trying to know.

Big question: How much will it be worth ??

Disclaimer: This dialogue via Google Translation, I'm sorry if there is a translation error, I find it very difficult to follow up your good dialogue. thank you

Last edited:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
2 is a 12v power outlet.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
No, A-pillar grab handles are not visible in the wide angle image (with the silver dash), which is the one I was referring to.
But as mentioned previously it not the same level of detail or accuracy as the side shot, that one's all roughed in. It's for reference of layout, which is why it's manual windows but still has centre stack switchgea, it's to get a feel for what the side-shot looks like head-on.

I do recognize part of the appeal of the jeep to many people is it's classic exterior.
Realistically it's more about core competencies than just a classic exterior, though sure, clasic shape plays a role too.. which is unchanged.
Primarily it's Convertibleness, Off-roadability, manual transmission, etc. As,long ss it all comes in a Wrangler box, most of the aesthetics are secondary.

Your statement that the JL might be a step backwards is the same sentiment that was said of the JK... and the TJ... and... the square headlight abomination of the YJ (which I had in HS), and... the CJ for adding doors to a Willys; yet all of the were more capable than their predecessors while adding updated features.

So.. letting the dash layout steer you away from, better axle, better engine, better transmission seems a little myopic in the bigger picture.
Sponsored