Sponsored

First Look: Production Interior of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU!

RDwheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JGC, Rubicon
Waterproof?

Any idea if this new JL dash design addresses (solves) the problem of the JK dash, and its head units, of not being all that water proof? I mean, Jeep goes out of its way to brag that one can hose out (the mud?) from the interior, even drive around with the top and doors taken off, but the "achilles heel", is the dash.
The JK dash for the most part can withstand your typical rain storm. It is water resistant but the electronics especially are not "waterproof" in the sense that it can't be submerged in water. That's just a fact of life Jeep can't change.

A hard storm that throws heavy wind/rain in all directions could take out your stereo and cause issues with other electrical (signals, wipers, horn, steering wheel controls and clock spring). Even if it doesn't completely destroy it there's plenty of JK owners that have had it partially malfunction with a wonky radio, buttons stop working, screen dies etc.

Those who are really concerned should just stick with the base radio or buy/mcguyver your own dashboard rain cover. I doubt the JL interior is going to be more water resistant than the JK especially when the backup camera is now a requirement (meaning a larger screen on the dash) and it has all that extra tech.
Sponsored

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
What is to the left of the Front Sway Bar Disconnect button?
Possibly the push to start button?
Seems like an odd shape and position for it. They're usually higher on the console closer to the steering wheel or on the steering column like these other Jeeps. But then again I've never seen the button placed on the left side of the steering wheel which is what the JL interior pics would indicate... so I dunno

Grand Cherokee

2017-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Trailhawk-ILIKA-1600x1067017.jpg

Compass

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 5.33.35 PM.jpg

Renegade

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 5.34.52 PM.jpg

Novenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford focus
Seems like an odd shape and position for it. They're usually higher on the console closer to the steering wheel or on the steering column like these other Jeeps. But then again I've never seen the button placed on the left side of the steering wheel which is what the JL interior pics would indicate... so I dunno

Grand Cherokee

2017-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Trailhawk-ILIKA-1600x1067017.jpg

Compass

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 5.33.35 PM.jpg

Renegade

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 5.34.52 PM.jpg
Was thinking it might be similar to the Mustang with the toggle switches.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Jeep Wrangler JL First Look: Production Interior of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU! {filename}
Located just below the heated steering wheel button, and underneath the mode button, are what appears to be ventilated/cooled/heated seat controls for each passenger's individual comfort.

Last edited:

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Located just below the heated steering wheel button, and underneath the home button, are what appears to be ventilated/cooled/heated seat controls for each passenger's individual comfort.
And a warning button in the middle!

Jeep Wrangler JL First Look: Production Interior of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU! {filename}

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
And a warning button in the middle!
Nah, the Hazard signal button you're refering to is clearly visible above the seat buttons by the top right of the dial, under the 'R' of the JL WRANGLER forums watermark.

(edit: yeah looks like the adjust up/down buttons, better with cleared pic without watermark, my mistake)

Last edited:

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Nah, the Hazard signal button you're refering to is clearly visible above the seat buttons by the top right of the dial, under the 'R' of the JL WRANGLER forums watermark.

I think it is clear now.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I think here is the startup button

Novenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford focus
Well wherever the engine start button winds up being...I for one love the new interior. Can't wait till they unveil this thing!

Sponsored

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
The JK dash for the most part can withstand your typical rain storm. It is water resistant but the electronics especially are not "waterproof" in the sense that it can't be submerged in water. That's just a fact of life Jeep can't change.

A hard storm that throws heavy wind/rain in all directions could take out your stereo and cause issues with other electrical (signals, wipers, horn, steering wheel controls and clock spring). Even if it doesn't completely destroy it there's plenty of JK owners that have had it partially malfunction with a wonky radio, buttons stop working, screen dies etc.

Those who are really concerned should just stick with the base radio or buy/mcguyver your own dashboard rain cover. I doubt the JL interior is going to be more water resistant than the JK especially when the backup camera is now a requirement (meaning a larger screen on the dash) and it has all that extra tech.
IMHO, if Jeep cared enough, and it actually had some talented engineers/designers, it would be pretty easy to have designed waterproof-ness and dust proof-ness into the new JL dash if they started with that as a simple goal.

For example, a simple hidden-away water proof door (kind of like a small garage door) that one needs to simply pull out and over the radio face, would keep water from damaging both the base radio, and their best 8.4n nav system, during that unexpected heavy rain storm when you have the top off.

Steelviper

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota TRD PRO 4Runner
Finally! I have been wanting a Jeep Wrangler soooooo bad for so long but could not stand the Ergonomics. which is why I opted last year to go with the TRD PRO 4Runner. Its great and modern but no Wrangler. If this JL comes like this with a quasi Recon package I'm gonna be trading in!

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250

It's there above the parking sensor button. You won' t likely see that removed when it has a heated steering wheel button.

Based on how many of the buttons are for optional features, I am looking forward to seeing how the base stack and layout will look.

You think those buttons cover seat cooling as well as heating? That'd be amazing. You know, for my wife. Yeah - for my wife. I don't personally care about things like air-conditioned seats. Those are for wusses.