Sponsored

Axle Info: NEW Front and Rear Axles for 2018 JL Wrangler Sport, Sahara & Rubicon

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
They have only made the Rubicon better over the years, most recently with the Recon, specifically with the strenthened D44.. I can't see them taking a step backward. Sounds luke they are moving forward again, with the inclusion of 33" tires. I only wish we could get the shocks from the ZR2, but Chevy would never give them up.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The JKUR will have 14% more torque between 1000 and 3000 rpm than the previous 3.6, and it is expected to have shed a little weight, so the power to weight ratio will likley be slightly improved. The axles are reportedly wider and set up better for larger wheels/tires, 2" of wheelbase makes for negligible change in breakover angle, which may be offset anyway by the T-case skid being slightly more flush with the bottom of the vehicle. Also, it may be slightly lifted compared to the previous Rubi. The 33's will also make up for the 2" in length with the breakover angle. (Being 6'5" tall, the 2" of length could actually be the biggest improvement, for me.) The improved efficiency of the engines will make up for the fuel tank's slight capacity reduction, especially with the 4 and the diesel. The 3.6 should produce at least a 1mpg gain, given the same manual transmission. With the 8 speed auto, it might be even slightly better. We don't know about the bumpers yet, but I'm expecting there will be options. Finally, the biggest improvement could be reliability, with improved transmissions and QC advances. (The CEO spoke of this very issue.) Finally, the Uconnect system will be a HUGE improvment, along with the backup cam. That backup cam will be a massive help on the tight trails here in my AO, as will be the improved visibility given by the lower spare tire and wiper arrangement. The headlights can onlyi be an improvement, too. One more BIG thing...ANY new and different manual transmission will be an improvement over the previous unit.

So, I'm still very much expecting the Rubicon to have been improved in an evolutionary way, which is fine by me. The most important thing to me about the JL was that they don't screw it up. The great thing is that for anyone thinking the JL is not an improvement, you can go order a 2018 Recon right now, wich in and of itself is an improvement over previous editions.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so go buy a Raptor. Have fun getting those doors off and squeezing it on to tight trails.

I do wish I could put my Van's Ecoboost into my Jeep, though. What a rush that would be!

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
One thing I would say is that we are talking about first year of the JL. It will be the the JL with the least options and least improvements out of all future JLs since the first year is always that baseline.

Take a look at the F150 for example, the Raptor is a special model that came out 2 years after the redesign of the F150. Also 2018 the F150 is getting a face lift, a diesel option, and the Ecoboot Motor makes more power then ever.

Look at he JK as in 2012 it got a whole new motor and then you had improvements like the Hard Rock and Recon editions recently.

I 100% think the JL will have these kinds of updates over the life cycle so its hard to judge it on the first year solely. However I myself dont want to wait that long. 2020 is the latest I'll be waiting to pick up a new ride, and I have my eyes on both the JTU and the New Bronco, as well as new 1500, 2500, and Raptor. It will basically come down to which one ticks off the most of my wish list at the time I'm ready to move forward.

Sponsored

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 1997 Lexus LX450
Love my Raptor, it's amazing. Just had to say that. :)

I do find limited use for it beyond going to the mall and Starbuck's though, if I'm honest. Some people have no problem putting that much money into a vehicle and bashing it up, but I am not one. I got a lot more use out of my old JKUR.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
No, I think it's more like you are overly critical of a new Jeep that hasn't even been released or tested yet. You compare the most capable trim level ever offered (Rubicon Recon) to rumored reports of the regular Rubicon. You shower us with your disappointments in almost everyone of your posts. How about we lighten up a bit, let the thing be released, test it out, and come up with judgments based on real world data instead of being an overly critical debby downer who just seems to want to rip on something that is your choice whether to buy or not. If it doesnt suit your needs, price point, or whatever, you can simply choose to not buy it.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
3 of my 80’s CJs had 112hp. My 87 YJ had, you guessed it, 112hp. My TJ had 180hp, and my 07 JK had the pitiful 3.8. I can easily accept that the JL doesn’t get an increase in power in the 3.6 because...
It will have DIESEL POWER!

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
I’m willing to bet $40,000 that I do buy a J.T. diesel if/when it actually becomes available...
Sponsored