Sponsored

Axle Info: NEW Front and Rear Axles for 2018 JL Wrangler Sport, Sahara & Rubicon

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
You mean the JL Rubicon needs to be no less than the JK Rubicon or the JL Rubicon Recon needs to be no less than the JK Rubicon Recon?
Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I was thinking of running a 315 70 17 which is about 34.5 depending on whose tire> I think those will be fine but I still like ice of having a beefy Axel

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Closure I agree generally a lot of really really hard core guys do exactly that go with a base model and then build. For me I have a rubicon now added bumpers winch rails a hd Oldman emu 4 inch lift terra flex monster trac bars and bunch of other stuff. I can afford to pay for it a bit at a time usually less than 1000 or so , I can't go out and drop 4K?+ on axels wheels tires so for me the beefy factory are best

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I don't agree, that like saying a new gen 2018 mustang GT can't be less than a previous gen mustang Shelby. It's an upper trim/performance package. I don't think anyone would make a stink about the previous gen Rubicon Recon being more capable than a new gen Rubicon since like the Shelby version of a mustang, it's an upgraded performance package of the Jeep Rubicon.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
You realize that torque is the issue, right?

The two new options are supposed to bring more torque, to the tune of 60+% more in the EcoDiesel.
Even the Pentastar has tweaks to torque delivery changing both initial early-on and continuous output torque, plus it will also bring more HP, we just don't know how much yet since it had a milder tune than the GC or RAM.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Problem is, it's easy to quantify 0-60 and 1/4 mile increases. But it's VERY hard to quantify increases in offroad ability. Many would argue that the TJ will destroy the JKU on most trails. So, did Jeep go backward? I say they didn't, because the JKU is THE Jeep that caused popularity to explode. The JKU won people over because of it's practicality, not it's offroad ability.

And therein lies the issue... if the JL is equal to the JK on the trail, it may still be a huge leap forward because it definitely WILL be better on the road, which is what people really care about. It also will be much safer and will score better in crash testing.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
And therein lies the issue... if the JL is equal to the JK on the trail, it may still be a huge leap forward because it definitely WILL be better on the road, which is what people really care about. It also will be much safer and will score better in crash testing.
Those are not the design parameters Manley and Marchionne stated for the JL. They both mandated the JL to be better on AND off road over the JK.