Sponsored

Anyone planning to buy JL off the lot instead of custom order?

JL's JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future 2018 JL
I know most here will be looking to custom order their JL but anyone here planning to just find one off the lot that best suits their preferences? Might be something I'd consider since my current car is on its last legs and I need a replacement asap.

Any difference in pricing negotiation between taking one from dealer's current inventory vs. custom ordering?
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I prefer to build my own and custom order non-standard/configurable setups and have two dealers (home / cottage) willing to do that, and likely order exactly what I want at least for the cottage as it's likely a 5+ year purchase and want bare bones (manual trans, doors, locks) but with a small number of high end options which is hard to find on lots, but...

It also depends a lot (no pun intended) on what the Special Editions are and how they are/can be configured, and also what is in our lots here in town, and the price savings/leverage if I 'take one off their hands'.

We have so many dealers here in town, most of which get a ton of varying options that you can often find a close match within 250kms (about 500-1,000 Wranglers) in the system. At the cottage there's only 3 dealers in that same radius with about a dozen vehicles, so ordering makes more sense from that perspective too.

Personalized is definitely the way to go for your one and only Wrangler especially if you're keeping it for more than 1 year, but there's know denying the savings of taking a 2018 off the lot once the 2019s are in.

I'm also worried about colours, as I'm looking at the 2018/2019 cross over for features, build quality, Special Editions, etc. but with the JL launching with Two googd Yellows (Acid & Dozer/Nacho) , I'm concerned about how long they will be there as I'd really like to get a 2018/19 Dozer Rubi(or SE) with the Pentastar w/ BSG, but will Dozer last that long? :whatsgoingon:

That's unfortunately what happened last time with Baja after my Rubi Doozer (ala Fraggles) got T-boned 3 months after they stop spraying nice colours like Baja and Sunset Orange, so had to search for a RubiHR across Canada in one of those colours (nothing good, just Tank and Black and White) or wait 2months for an order (with only Hydro Blue or commonplace Red being the only 'colour' options) while driving a rental right at the start of Ski season, so tracked down the best I could and got a very VERY sweet deal on a Baja Winter Edition.

armybiker

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited MOAB
Occupation
IT Project Management
I think we may all be in different situations to really determain that. I know Iā€™ll search out my options and then search dealers, if i donā€™t find what I want then Iā€™ll order.

This is a long term buy for me so I want it to be exactly what I want. I can say that luckily in the DC metro area I have a wide variety of dealers that I can rely on.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460, '22 XR
Most will be dealer-order for inventory.

Personally I would only order what I want unless I could find an exact match a reasonable distance away. I hate paying extra for options I don't want.

I will prob not be a 2018 buyer, at least not an early one though.

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Ordered the last one...will probably due the same again.

My '12...I wanted a JKU Rubi...no options, manual, soft top. Rubis tend to get ordered loaded out with options so dealers can pull people into $40k+ vehicles because someone wants the Rubicon badging.

This time I want a JLU Rubi diesel. So...will be waiting a while most likely, but again...I don't care for really any options...just the Rubi package.

And I say again...I really wish Jeep would put out an options package that included the offroad "goodies" of the Rubicon to be added to a base Sport. With the JKUR, the Rubi package added a lot of electronics I didn't want (windows, heated mirrors, etc). A barebones Sport with the ability to add the transfer case, lockers, axles, disconnects would be nice.

Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Most of the time dealers pad the ones on the lots with the options that have the highest profit margins and the buying trend of the public. Up here in WA state dealers usually order auto trans, hardtop, and convenience packages. Then they tack on all the dealer accessories and some even put on some overpriced wheel/tire combo. If you want it your way ordering is the only way to go. My 2008 JKU was a Sport 6-speed S pkg, m/trans with lockers and electric sway bar disconnect in Detonator Yellow. I would have never been able to find one on the lot that way.

RSjeep30

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Patriot Latitude, 2019 2 dr Rubicon Ocean Blue Metallic [Hoping to order 12/18]
Occupation
Structural Designer
Some of the dealers around here love to just load them up with options so it makes it hard to gauge what they'd do once the JL's start rolling out. When I start looking for a JL, I'll check some of the dealer lots, high probability I'd end up ordering it the way I want it. I wouldn't want to end up sacrificing or settling with what a dealer has.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
My 2008 JKU was a Sport 6-speed S pkg, m/trans with lockers and electric sway bar disconnect in Detonator Yellow. I would have never been able to find one on the lot that way.
That's interesting. You can't build a Sport with lockers and sway bar disconnect now...at least not on the US Jeep website. Do the dealers have more options available than if you build one on the Jeep website?

I'll most likely buy one off the lot, but it really depends on what comes standard, especially gearing.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Hopefully the JL will put some of the interesting options on the Sport. I will be ordering one hopefully in 2020.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
That's interesting. You can't build a Sport with lockers and sway bar disconnect now...at least not on the US Jeep website. Do the dealers have more options available than if you build one on the Jeep website?

I'll most likely buy one off the lot, but it really depends on what comes standard, especially gearing.
I think @The Great Grape Ape could answer that question. He seems to be knowledgeable about custom ordering.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I think @The Great Grape Ape could answer that question. He seems to be knowledgeable about custom ordering.
Well 2008 wouldā€™ve been slightly different than now, and the options list was differently arranged. Back then you COULD get sawybar on the Rubicon AND SportX , and as is the case now, only a rear locker was available on the Sport.

You can still pick and chose with a custom order, but only to an extent as sometimes they are dependant on sub-system or other components, front lockers still require a D44 up front and that is strictly limited to tthe Rubicon trims.

Now a dealership can always add options like swaybar to your Sport, but that would be after the fact not at the plant, but itā€™s an easy add. There might even still be an old code for the swaybar in the sport, but I doubt it due to the requirements at the plant level.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
If there was a fully loaded black powered soft top, then yes

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I usually buy off the lot due to my impatience.... Luckily in Houston one of the dealers typically has exactly what I'm looking for sitting on the lot.
My first JK they swapped with a dealer in Louisiana that had the exact combination I was looking for. Only took two days to get it(Tough two days lol.)

FritzBrothers

First Name
Fritz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I know most here will be looking to custom order their JL but anyone here planning to just find one off the lot that best suits their preferences? Might be something I'd consider since my current car is on its last legs and I need a replacement asap.

Any difference in pricing negotiation between taking one from dealer's current inventory vs. custom ordering?
Not sure about your area but Gupton was offering a better deal than used ā€˜18

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
Not sure about your area but Gupton was offering a better deal than used ā€˜18
You replied to a 4 year old post, I'm not sure if he is still in the market for a new Jeep.
Sponsored