Sponsored

An Inline 6-Cylinder Engine ?

The Mad Duck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dodge Nitro R/T 4X4 (My Fake Jeep), 2010 Dodge Journey R/T, 1962 Imperial
For the Days of Future Past File !

There Are Many, Many Rumors About a Not too Far in the Distant Future Inline 6-Cylinder Engine !

(At Least in a Automotive Timeline)

Go to Allpar.com and Look Around.

I Can Give a A Wink & Nod to the Rumors !

Some Links Later.

From All Par, Read It and then Read Between the Lines.

https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/death-of-the-pentastar-v6.167195/

http://www.allpar.com/model/upcoming-powertrain.html

From Top Speed: And Read the Comments About the Track Record of Allpar Concerning Rumors !
http://www.topspeed.com/trucks/truck-news/is-fca-bringing-back-the-straight-six-ar175978.html
Sponsored

Last edited:

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Interesting rumor but the inline 6 engine is supposed to be 7-8+ years away at least and then phase in period after that which will take a few more years. With that timing, my guess is we're going to have the Pentastar V6 for the duration of the JL/JLU/JT model.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Interesting considering that BMW is among the only ones left championing the i6. My only concens it that based on it being a Hurricane derivative Toronado, then it will be a small displacement turbo charged variant in the 3.0L range (if you just extrapolate) similar to the current BMW i6 turbos, meaning that an NA version would likely be significantly below the current Pentastar.

It's definitely a better fit for the Wrangler than the Hurricane if it were available today, but still a far cry from the NA Hemi application.

However, even if it is 4 or 5 years out instead of 7-8 years, it puts it in an awkward place with the HEV Wrangler somewhere nearby, and perhaps a future with an EcoDiesel already established, so low-end torque is taken care of by the instant on Electric motor or stump-pulling ED.
The turbo i6 would better fit a street car version that can make use of HP above 250, the current Wrangler isn't even limited by the Pentastar so much as the speed governor/limiter (of course) and the transmission, once the 8-speed is in then it's just the limiter.

I still get the feeling this ends up like the 4.8L Pentastar V8, in being a great idea, just arrives too late to take advantage of the marketplace.

Sponsored

OP
OP

The Mad Duck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting considering that BMW is among the only ones left championing the i6. My only concens it that based on it being a Hurricane derivative Toronado, then it will be a small displacement turbo charged variant in the 3.0L range (if you just extrapolate) similar to the current BMW i6 turbos, meaning that an NA version would likely be significantly below the current Pentastar.

It's definitely a better fit for the Wrangler than the Hurricane if it were available today, but still a far cry from the NA Hemi application.

However, even if it is 4 or 5 years out instead of 7-8 years, it puts it in an awkward place with the HEV Wrangler somewhere nearby, and perhaps a future with an EcoDiesel already established, so low-end torque is taken care of by the instant on Electric motor or stump-pulling ED.
The turbo i6 would better fit a street car version that can make use of HP above 250, the current Wrangler isn't even limited by the Pentastar so much as the speed governor/limiter (of course) and the transmission, once the 8-speed is in then it's just the limiter.

I still get the feeling this ends up like the 4.8L Pentastar V8, in being a great idea, just arrives too late to take advantage of the marketplace.
My "Sources" (Including Ouija Boards , Looking Under Rocks and other Places) tell me very little about a 4.8L Pentastar V-8.

OP
OP

The Mad Duck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had Kind'a Really Neat Day Yesterday !
I Had a "And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land."
Moment ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Apologies to MLK.
And Now for Some Patented Mad Duck Cryptic Questions.

The the Old Slant Six Engine had 4 Main Bearings and the AMC 4.0L Engine has 7 Main Bearings.
How Many Main bearing Should Next In-Line 6 Cylinder Engine Have?

Do You Prefer Engine Block With Full Skirts ?

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
The full electric JLU wrangler will outsell any previous wrangler ever, if they can bring it to market stripped down starting at 27500.

OP
OP

The Mad Duck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Accurate Opinion Yet, On the Timeline.

Well I Kind'a Got One.

It's Shorter than the Longest One Said Stated in this Thread.

Lee H Greidanus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former jk owner
Occupation
Mail carrier
I think we see engines that need higher octane fuel and have higher compression ratios for better emissions before we see another inline six.