2018 Wrangler (JK) Info Thread - Ordering/Production

1. Administrator

Staff Member

Garage Profiles:
    #1 Administrator, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    It's been widely reported that the current JK Wrangler will continue production (as a 2018 model year) even as the next generation JL Wrangler begins production in November.

We now have hard dates from a supplier source of ours who has provided us the currently scheduled production dates for the 2018 JK:
    • 2018 JK -- 6 Month Model Year
    • 2018 JK Production Start Date -- October 2, 2017
    • 2018 JK Production End Date -- March 30, 2018
    • 2018 JK Order Banks Open -- August 10, 2017 (Note: it's possible that this date could be moved to the following month with banks opening on September 14th)
    Wrangler Assembly Plant Schedule: TSP (Toledo Supplier Park - Toledo South)
    • Building 2017 JK Wranglers until 9/30/2017
    • Will build 2018 JK Wranglers starting 10/02/2017 until 3/30/2018
    • Will shut down starting 3/31/2018 for an estimated 3-4 months or longer to retool for the 2019 JT Pickup

Note: Information is subject to change

* Updated 01/05/17 with latest info

2. Davos77

Davos77 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2003 Wrangler Rubicon
    Garage Profiles:
    Thx for sharing. What happens at end of March 2018 when they shut down the JK line for good? Will it take months to convert for JL/JLU/JT production and there'll only be a single line making the JL/JLU during that time?

3. Milous

Milous Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Yes
    Yes, single line for awhile, but the changeover shouldn't take more than a month or two, unless some additional plant upgrades are planned.

4. Wolfslash16

Wolfslash16 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    '17 JKU Firecracker Big Bear
    Good to know. That gives me time to decide between the JL and the JK. Heck yeah.

5. Aggie

Aggie Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Rubicon
    So much shorter than the Cherokee --> JL/JLU retool.

That last JK or JKU off the line is going to be worth something special. Very end of such a long successful run!

Onlylive1 likes this.
  6. Campbell

Campbell Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Challenger
    We can probably expect a lot of special editions for the 2018 JK which might also be worth something special too since they're last model year. The 2017 JK is already getting the Sport Freedom, Sahara Winter, Sport Big Bear, Sahara Chief, Sahara Smoky Mountain, and Rubicon Recon editions as far as we know.

7. Bullring

Bullring Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Cherokee
    Will the 2018 JK order guide/pricing be out before the JL order banks open?
    I would like to know what all the options are before deciding..

8. F1Mark

F1Mark Member

Vehicle(s):
    YJ
    I bet 2018 JK isn't going to get anything different than the 2017. They've said it's only for a small period of time and just to fill in the transition space between the JK and JL. Why bother with new features or packages for not even a complete model year.

9. Frank

Frank Member

Vehicle(s):
    Wrangler jk
    Garage Profiles:
    Do not wait to order the new jl

10. Milous

Milous Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Yes
    2018 JK guide/pricing should be out in mid September (9/14). JL most likely in October or November.

11. Bullring

Bullring Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Cherokee
    Thanks that should definitely help in deciding and hopefully they reveal the JL sooner than both those dates. I'd think they will show the car before ordering opens. Or is that mostly for dealers to get their orders in...

12. ModdedJK

ModdedJK Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Modded JK
    There was speculation in the spied manual transmission thread that it might be a Tremec 3160 manual box. As an example that manual is used in the 2016 GT350 Mustang which has high HP and TQ (526HP/429 LB-FT). So if it's really a Tremec 3160, it can hold up to high torque.

13. Billy

Billy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1997 TJ, 2008 WK CRD
    Garage Profiles:
    Looks like the Tremec is NOT compatible with a transfer case. All cars listed with the Tremec 3160 are RWD only.

14. Corduroy

Corduroy Member

Vehicle(s):
    2013 Jeep Cherokee
    I just saw on some auto blog that the Wrangler Classic was confirmed by a dealer to be coming.

It got me thinking, is there any way the spy photos could be hiding a slightly modified JK as opposed to the JL? It could explain why it looks so similar?

15. Billy

Billy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1997 TJ, 2008 WK CRD
    Garage Profiles:
    The spy shots have most certainly been a combination of JK test mules and prototype JLs. There will be NO structural/sheetmetal changes to the 2018 JK classic. No 8 speed auto either, won't fit.

16. dtbingle

dtbingle New Member

Vehicle(s):
    '97 miata, 2011 liberty
    Some questions for thought about the 2018 JK.

1) With Engine Start-Stop confirmed for the 2018 JL, would this have a chance of being added to the 2018 JK too?
    2) The Pentastar 2.0 will be an option for the JL. Would this make it into the 2018 JK?
    3) Searching for parts/mods. If you have the 2018 JK and then the 2018 JL is rolled out, it has the potential to become a pain to find parts/mods for one or the other. Google search for 2018 wrangler *part or mod name* and the search becomes largely dominated with whatever is more popular.
    4) What would make you go with the 2018 jk versus a 2017 jk (or vice versa)?

17. JLWranglerJT

JLWranglerJT Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    XLT
    Welcome to the Community.. I hope you read this thread..

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...-jk-jl-jt-toledo-assembly-plant-schedule.633/

On the above link, it would appear that the JK will have a slightly longer lifespan of at least 3 more months and I agree with you, seems there will a few stragglers hanging around until the JL is put into production. But according to my sources.. The list for vehicles that's suppose to have the ESS system installed is growing and although This forum has found reports that the new wrangler will have this system installed.. I'm lead to believe that it's now become mandatory for most if not all vehicles (Jeep & non-Jeep related) be equipped with the ESS system.

Until I (or others can verify) if in fact than more vehicles are suppose to have this ESS system installed.. We may have to wait and see. Let's put it this way.. We spoke to a jeep dealership last weekend.. and they didn't even know that Jeep was going to be introducing the JT Truck.. I think this should tell you and others that we're all in the dark about what's going to happen. But you're at the right site for the latest information when it arrives.

The Mad Duck likes this.
  18. Jeep XXL

Jeep XXL Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Jeep Wrangler
    1. I would think not as it is engine specific and the 2018 JK is not going to get any engine changes. It's also said that it will require new larger battery/vehicle monitors. I doubt FCA is going to commit more R&D just for the last year of the JK.

2. Again, doubt it. I think someone (Milous?) said there will be no new engines for the JK.

3. I think the 2018 JK is going to have a special name attached to it. "Classic" was it? If so it will help with this problem as long as the vendors make it clear which model. It'll probably make searches for new/used 2018's a lot of the same problem too. The 2018 JL is going to drown out the JK tho. I doubt you're going to see a lot of 2018 JK results in any general searches.

4. Some people will want to own the last year of the JK and I'm sure they will give it a cool package to send it off.

19. JLWranglerJT

JLWranglerJT Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    XLT
    I agree @Jeep XXL Jeep will place some sort of emblem on the last 2018 JKs as a farewell..

20. Midnight2d

Midnight2d Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2012 Wrangler Rubicon
    For #4, price and resale may be a factor? I've come across dealers marking up a 2016 Wrangler 3k above sticker and holding firm on it just because it has the Black Bear appearance package that is not being made for 2017 and onward. I would not be surprised to see a lot of 2018 JKs marked up for the same ridiculous reasons.