Sponsored

2018 Wrangler info from FCA dealers meeting (diesel, colors, debut, power sliding top, etc.)

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Boo no Green paint color.
They always did this with the JK, though. They'll either have a set of base colors at the start, then towards the end they briefly release a handful of nifty colors or they debut with nifty colors and kill them about halfway through. Granted, the '18MY is going to be a short one if they aren't debuting until literally the end of the year, but hopefully they'll have something close to Rescue or Commando Green.
Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
They always did this with the JK, though. They'll either have a set of base colors at the start, then towards the end they briefly release a handful of nifty colors or they debut with nifty colors and kill them about halfway through. Granted, the '18MY is going to be a short one if they aren't debuting until literally the end of the year, but hopefully they'll have something close to Rescue or Commando Green.
I sure hope so.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
LA Auto show is December 1-10. So no, that number would not be correct.
Its weird that the admin posted the LA Auto Show debut but didnt update the counter. I wonder if there will still be a press launch prior.

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
The counter hasn't been updated yet. Keep in mind this is not an exhaustive list of all the confirmed info from the meeting, but some highlights. Will update as we learn more.

Word is 2 door JL Sahara is being discontinued because "sold too few and no real need for it."

Updated with link to latest diesel spy photos (just posted).
Any chance that there will still be an earlier press launch, or did they say for sure LA Auto Show will be the first time its seen? It seems weird to have order banks open when no one will know what it looks like.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Any chance that there will still be an earlier press launch, or did they say for sure LA Auto Show will be the first time its seen? It seems weird to have order banks open when no one will know what it looks like.
The dealers will know what it looks like, and they'll be able to start booking.

I still expect something stand alone. This is too big of a deal to have a late release at the LA show., and late like you said.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I guess dealers can order, but it would stop the public from ordering without being able to see how it looks, and all the features. Also if dealers have photos or renderings of it and sales materials its going to 100% leak, so why not just do a press launch. This whole "Launch" seems half-assed.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The new Power Sliding Hardtop, late 2018 ; the initials for it are : "PSHT". Thats almost funny, painfully close to "Piece of Sh#t".
I sincerely hope it's better than the Acronym. ..
So the 3.6, manual trans will be the "base" model, the 2.0 turbo 4 cylinder will be an option , automatic only.
I'll wait, options and colors will be improving for late 2018-2019.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I guess dealers can order, but it would stop the public from ordering without being able to see how it looks, and all the features. Also if dealers have photos or renderings of it and sales materials its going to 100% leak, so why not just do a press launch. This whole "Launch" seems half-assed.
Agreed, but we don't know the whole story. Yet.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The new Power Sliding Hardtop, late 2018 ; the initials for it are : "PSHT". Thats almost funny, painfully close to "Piece of Sh#t".
Reminds me of an Adam Sandler song...

Sponsored

opsfox21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2023 WL Overland
Well this is unfortunate, I was thinking of a green 2 door Sahara 2.0 w/ 6 speed and power sliding soft top. :)

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Other than LA still looking like a PR/Marketing launch and not a true reveal, a few items seem to be missing in this info... :ontheloo:

Engines / Transmissions
  • Updated 3.6L Pentastar V6 Manual Transmission (standard), 3.6L Automatic (optional)
  • 2.0 DOHC Automatic Transmission (standard), No manual option
  • Diesel late 2019MY availability (and pending EPA certification) - See Latest Spy Photos
So, 2.0 DOHC... as if DOHC was important, but no mention of Turbo?
Uhh.. the 3.6L is DOHC too yet it's special for the 2.0L? Now if it's maturally aspirated, that is HUGE news, and a good choice for the 4 cylinder, just the wrong size.

Weird losing the manual transmission with the Pentastar, makes me think they picked a very low torque handling transmission, and not the capable new Tremec, and that even if the "2.0 DOHC" is a turbo, then it's likely an open block detuned (but reliable) variant with less torque than the Pentastar, and may even be similar to the VW Tiguan trading HP and Torque for improved fuel economy and the ability to run on 87 octane, both of which fit a 'base / economy' profile of a tiny Turbo Wrangler, not the hyper whiny & fragile 300HP variant people expected like it's Italian cousins had.

Colors
  • List of general colors to be available, yet to be fully confirmed
  • White
  • Black
  • Granite Crystal
  • Billet Silver
  • Blue
  • Orange
  • Red
  • Baja Yellow
Interesting they named/remembered the Yellow, Silver and Granite, but not the Orange, Blue, and especially the Red which often has 2 occupying the color palette (2013 had 3 different reds).
And while I like Baja, obviously, I am surprised that they went right back to it instead of alternating to a previous yellow, or like previous launches, a never before used new yellow like Detonator for the JK and Citron for the TJ launch year palettes.

Miscellaneous
  • Redesigned transfer case handle
Not questioning that there is a new transfer case handle, but that was news worthy for this gathering?

New Transfer Case, sure, that's news, new knurled metalic knob is more notable than the new transmissions, new updated suspension, new interior, new... new... new...??? *

* just realized for the second time in this thread this forum needs a "Hmmmm..." skeptical emoji (could just do half the lightbulb / idea one which starts out pensive which could look skeptical). :idea:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Weird losing the manual transmission with the Pentastar
Uh, the 3.6L/manual is listed as standard...

And you realize these are from someone's notes or recollection later back at their hotel, right? This is how this cloak and dagger stuff works.

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

It's still a turbo, omission unintentional and post updated.

Again, I will reiterate, these are random highlights not meant to be exhaustive. Anything "news worthy" whether you feel it so or not, was based on the discretion and recollection of the source. We could have left out some of the arguably more mundane details but I don't believe there's any harm in its inclusion.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Also, after driving 12,000KMs as part of a cost to coast Canada-150 trek this past month, I now wonder if/hope a Longer Wheelbase in JLU will allow for even larger fuel tank. 85L/22.5Gal is fine, but a few more litres is nice when doing long trips. An even 100L (26G) would be nice, even 95L/25G would boost range by near 100KM or 50+ miles.

After encountering a few abandoned/burned down gas stations in the near-north, and ~100Km(60M)/h headwinds in the West killed fuel econ from 12.1L/100K (19MPG) to 16.8L(14MPG) also limiting speed, a few more litres would be nice for those treks and for deep foraging into the trails (though usually take Jerry cans for those like the Northern Territories last year).
Sponsored