2018 Wrangler Drops Camo, Shows Backup Camera, Roofline, Grab Handles, Signs of Foldable Windshield

1. JLWranglerJT

JLWranglerJT Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    1992 Ford Ranger XLT
    #61 JLWranglerJT, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    @Cal_JLU I was informed of this while visiting the AllPar forums..

[​IMG]
    Look close right below the wiper blades & in front of the antenna..

OMGs I can't believe I missed that.. I always felt (until allpar pointed this out to others) that the hinge was rather high up on the windshield.. Now I understand why.. The windshield folds out and not the whole windshield a pillar like old Wranglers where you had to remove all the torque screws to get the a pillar to drop forward.. Another reason I say that the wind fold forward is because the rear view mirror isn't attached to the windshield..

2. AVENTUS

AVENTUS Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    BMW 750li sport
    keeping the fold down windshield likely enhances the open air feel when doors are removed and roof panels are taken out, enough to please the crowd who is skeptical of the new roof structure.

JLWranglerJT likes this.
  3. LordEgg

LordEgg Member

Car(s):
    Jeeps
    Man that hood has significant slope on the front end.

4. Warrior Class

Warrior Class Member

Car(s):
    2014 Rubicon, Yamaha Raptor 660
    Noticed it too. Probably another design element for better aerodynamics and MPG.

5. Wagler

Wagler New Member

Car(s):
    2012 JKU Altitude 2013 Yamaha FZ8
    My $.02 on most recent photos:
    • The backup camera could just be for testing purposes - has to be nearly impossible to see out that back window with all the drapes on the back end. Would be very surprised if it came to production; even more so if it ended up in center of the spare.
    • I don't buy those side steps at all. I'd bet they're just on there for camo purposes and to throw off on-lookers.
    • The zipper on the back cover is opens on the same side as my JKU, so the tailgate/ window could be the same as JK with that zipper configuration. Drop down tailgate would be cool but they'd have to do a swing-away tire carrier or similar.
    • Would love for Jeep to ditch the dissimilar metals between door and door hinge. My 2012 is already showing corrosion.
    • A-pillar handle. Not a fan. At all.
    • No more roll bar? Errrrrrrrrrrrrr...buying a 2017 on principle.
    • Remember 2007 redesign and the improvements that followed in what, 2011 or 2012 - second generation interior and ditched the minivan 3.8 for the pentastar? Eager to see what 2018 looks like but I won't buy until ~5 years into this generation when the bugs get worked out.

JLWranglerJT likes this.
  6. F1Mark

F1Mark Member

Car(s):
    YJ
    All 2018 and forward vehicles are required to have backup cameras so it's no surprise.

I'm not sure what the big issue is with the running boards. They look fine for factory ones to me. I'll probably swap them for steel side armor that actually protects the jeep.

I'm not sure if you need to wait 5 years for them to work out the kinks. We're all in trouble if it takes them that long lol. By that point there's probably going to be new engines and new kinks to work out.

Vegas_Sirk and MDWG like this.
  7. Sport11

Sport11 Active Member

Car(s):
    Wrangler Rubicon (JK)
    I'm glad to see the folding windshield might be staying. I've never used mine but don't want to see the JL become any less useful or lose the special unique features that make up the sum of what a Wrangler is.

8. JLWranglerJT

Car(s):
    1992 Ford Ranger XLT
    @Wagler You are so on target with this.. Glad you've noticed allot of these little things I hope NOT to see on a real 2018/19 wrangler.

I feel the running/foot boards need to be cut in half and even though others have said they don't see it bowing in the middle I do. The only other last bit of info I was told is that those whom may be driving the 2018 Sahara are a little over weight and use the step boards frequently thus the slight dip or droop in the middle.

As for the no roll cage/bars.. I suspect what we're looking at is a totally redesign system which allows for full air flow through the cab and into the back.. The use of stronger but lightweight materials not only helps reduce the weight of the vehicle but will not allow for more open air possibilities and designs.

I'm under the assumption that the open air design has been test in a wind tunnel, if not I hope we see something for this and very soon.. Sure keep the lower half covered up but let's see the jeep drive around with all the panel off or down etc..

9. MDWG

MDWG Active Member

Car(s):
    YJ, Dodge Journey, Toyota Corolla
    @JLWranglerJT @Wagler it is required by law to have a backup camera, just another regulation Obama wanted that is going to cause the cost of the new Wrangler to go up.

I had steprails on my YJ I used those often enough where I would say that they were worth it. Yes they were the factory standard step rails. they were even with the bottom of the tub and stayed out of the way when wheeling. If the new Wrangler comes with that type of rail I can bet a bunch of people will view this as a premium addition.

10. JLWranglerJT

Car(s):
    1992 Ford Ranger XLT
    #70 JLWranglerJT, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Sketch of what a Flip Down Windshield (just the window) and not the entire a pillar/frame might look like, by Ruptured Duck.

Now the larger grab handles make sense. These have larger openings and sit higher up as to allow the drive & passenger to reach out the exposed window frame to grab the handles and re-secure the windshield back to it's original position.

windshield 3.gif

11. Dackel

Dackel Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2014 JKU, Ram 1500
    I know one single local owner that's folded down his windshield and even then it was just for fun and to have said he did it before. Fact is most of us just want it for nostalgia and to say/think that our Wranglers can do it. But hey if Jeep has made it MUCH easier to fold down the windshield on the JL I bet we'll see lots more owners doing it, maybe even including myself.

MDWG likes this.
  12. FiftyFive0

FiftyFive0 Member

Car(s):
    15 Chevy Tahoe
    It's a cool new design but only useful on the trails since driving around without a windshield is just not safe or practical. I hope they've put as much work into this as they have making sure the roof comes off easier because that is a feature I would actually use.

13. BDJeep1

BDJeep1 Member

Car(s):
    JK Rubicon Hard Rock
    I agree. To me this hopefully signals that they are keeping all the key features that make a wrangler a wrangler like removable doors, soft top, removable hard top with 'roll bar' look (I hope) and not jeep liberty flex top look.

14. AVENTUS

AVENTUS Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    BMW 750li sport
    It seems like it would be very helpful on a safari / hunting trip, where one could fire from the drivers seat then chase down the prey immediately with the vehicle if the shot wasn't K5.

15. Cal_JLU

Cal_JLU Active Member

Car(s):
    Future JLU
    The sport bar is dead. Chrysler -before FCA- had to get an exemption from the govt to have the sport bar design as it was. That exemption no longer exists due to tightening regulations from NHTSA.

16. BDJeep1

BDJeep1 Member

Car(s):
    JK Rubicon Hard Rock
    I understand. But whatever replaces it I would like 'sport bar' look.

17. JLWranglerJT

Car(s):
    1992 Ford Ranger XLT
    More or less, it's starting to look like a thin ribcage

18. Cam

Cam Member

Car(s):
    In between Wranglers right now
    If nothing else this will make removing cracked windshields a lot easier. I'll say this - it will be a strange look if the pillars and roof structure is fixed. I get that this could be the "compromise" Jeep is going for but anyone folding the windshield down clearly wants total open air feel.

I'm hoping the grab handles are an option since this is a Sahara. I'd like the choice of a much smaller one or removed altogether.

JLWranglerJT likes this.
  19. DropTopGal

DropTopGal Active Member

Car(s):
    TBA: 2018 JL Wrangler, 2017 GS Corvette
    Garage Profiles:
    I too like the sport bar look. After all, that is one of the unique design features that is readily identified as a "jeep".
    That being said, if the removable roof and side rear window panels are easy to remove, allows for the same open air driving feeling, and seal well / have no problems... I would be satisfied.

JLWranglerJT likes this.
  20. Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2013 JKU
    Garage Profiles:
    Its going to have a frame running inline with the A & B pillars all around.

jk-cage-high_xl.jpg

Think full roll cage. As this will be the mounting structure for the roof and everything above the belt line.

Anyone hoping for this affect:

willys-mb-7.jpg

Its not going to be possible.

Dart Maul and JLWranglerJT like this.