2018 Wrangler Drops Camo, Shows Backup Camera, Roofline, Grab Handles, Signs of Foldable Windshield

1. Dackel

Dackel Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2014 JKU, Ram 1500
    Most people use it to help get in and out of the jeep,which I'm guessing you still need to do on the driver's side :) I'm also guessing there's a matching one on the passenger side and rear lol.
    I'm glad to see this, it's long overdue.

2. AgingTJ

AgingTJ New Member

Car(s):
    97 Wrangler, 04 SV 650
    Looks like maybe the push button on the door handle may be gone based on the second picture. There appears to be a clearance gap behind the handle to allow it to pull out, and it would be quite difficult to get your hand in that camo to push a button.

JJ75 likes this.
  3. Bill P

Bill P Active Member

Car(s):
    Wrangler Unlimited
    Nice catch admin. This makes me wonder about the JL's A pillar bolt points. I can't tell if both the top and bottom of the grab handle is bolted on but based on the bottom angle of the handle, it looks like it. It's mounted a lot lower than I would have expected, down past the side mirrors and almost to where the top of the steering wheel would be.

If you compare it to the GraBars ones for the JK:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few things worry me about this. First is how the new bolt points are going to work with some aftermarket accessories and parts that make more sense being bolted higher on the pillar. Another is I hope these grab handles don't cause visibility issues towards the windshield and side mirrors. They look pretty large.

4. JJ75

JJ75 Active Member

Car(s):
    2012 JKU
    Good eye. Does look like the push button door handle is gone.

And it looks like the door hinges may be more prominent than the current ones. Looks like it pushes out the camo more than the JK ones would.

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 11.02.15 PM.jpg

5. four low

four low Member

Car(s):
    2015 JK
    Interior Grab handles like the ones shown in the JK could be a real hazard in a crash, imagine hitting your head on that. Even with air bags, seat belt, the human body gets thrown around enough to be killed by that in a violent crash.
    The new ones in the JL could pose a similar problem, but the Liability Guys have probably checked them out.

JLWranglerJT likes this.
  6. doh

doh Member

Car(s):
    2005 wrangler
    i hope they are removable. i would've been fine with them offering paracord ones but now that there's no sport bar i guess this is the only option.

7. Administrator

Staff Member

Garage Profiles:
    Update - Feb. 27, 2017

The 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited prototype has been spotted again providing the clearest looks yet at the roofline, windows, grab handles and ever-so-slightly visible top.

These new photos provide a clear look at signs of a prominent hood bulge, larger and longer air dam below the front bumper that extends much lower to the ground, and the large A-pillar mounted grab handles on the driver and passenger side.

Our sources have indicated that the JL will not only retain a foldable windshield, but Jeep has actually redesigned Wrangler to make it easier to fold up and down. The large grab handles are positioned as such to do double duty-- used as traditional grab bars for ingress and egress and when things get rough on the trail, as well as serving as a handle for lowering and raising the windshield from the interior. To make it even more convenient, the rearview mirror mount has been moved to the ceiling (as opposed to being mounted on the current model), as clearly shown in the photos.

The fenders on the JL Wrangler appear to arch higher on the vehicle and have been reshaped for a more rounded look. In fact, many of the JLU's edges have been rounded for better aerodynamics, from the fenders to the windows, roofline and overall silhouette.

There are also hints of the new black roof panels and though not much else can be discerned from the thin sheet of roof we see, we can tell that the ribs are similar to the current Wrangler's Freedom hardtop. Along with the folding windshield, this points to a highly open-air design.

Here's what's clearly seen in these new images:
    • prominent hood bulge
    • larger and longer air dam/skid plate that extends much lower to the ground
    • large A-pillar grab handles on the driver and passenger side
    • rearview mirror mounted to the roof instead of the windshield
    • reshaped, more rounded fenders that appear to arch higher on the vehicle
    • rounded windows
    • hints of black roof panels

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JLWranglerJT

JLWranglerJT Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    1992 Ford Ranger XLT
    #48 JLWranglerJT, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Just wanted to point out.. these could be 2 separate vehicles.. because the first jeep has smaller tires, While the second jeep has larger tires with new wheels all together..

Let me rephrase.. the first jeep has more of a road/street worthy tire not as knobby, while the second jeep has more of the off road tire and new wheels.

OMGs..

One is a Sport or Sahara (crappy running boards / smooth street tires)

[​IMG]

While the other is a Rubicon etc..(slim line rocker rails closer to the chases / larger knobby tires)

[​IMG]

Look at the space difference between the tire and wheel well on both of these..

Bullseye: Red Rubicon Shock, (drivers side rear) Larger knobby tires etc..

[​IMG]

9. RobNY

RobNY Active Member

Car(s):
    05 TJ
    Definitely two different ones. One reveals a black roof and the other's roof is covered in camo.

10. Midnight2d

Midnight2d Member

Car(s):
    2012 Wrangler Rubicon
    Those handles look like they are built into the A pillar. Maybe it's just the photo but it almost looks like the speaker tweeters are in there?

[​IMG]

11. Bullring

Bullring Member

Car(s):
    Cherokee
    Man just a little higher and you could make out the whole roof. You can definitely tell there's separation of the roof by the B pillar but after that it's impossible to make out.

12. JLWranglerJT

Car(s):
    1992 Ford Ranger XLT
    @Bullring Note the ridges in the forward roof panels, these are still the same as whats currently on the JK

[​IMG]

13. CorpCow

CorpCow Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Ram 1500 Quad Cab
    That windshield looks like it's primed to be easily folded or removed! Huge grab handles attached to the inside of windshield frame (for ease of lowering?) and if I'm seeing it correctly the rear view mirrors are mounted to ceiling.

14. JoKer

JoKer Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    '13 Wrangler Sport
    I'd have to say based on the positioning and size of the handle bars it would make sense that it is also being used for windshield removal. If the bars are for driver/passenger ingress/egress they should be higher up and tilt upward for better grip leverage. The roof panels look similar so i'm going to guess it is fully convertible. It would only make sense if in fact the windshield folds down from the top just as in the JK, as the rearview mirror position suggests.

15. JLWranglerJT

Car(s):
    1992 Ford Ranger XLT
    @JoKer Just to clarify.. are you saying that the so called grab handles aren't really grab handles at all but left over windshield retainment/Installation system that was left there to make us think these where grab handles..

16. AVENTUS

AVENTUS Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    BMW 750li sport
    Hell yes to speaker tweeters up there with grab handles !

17. Milous

Milous Active Member

Car(s):
    Yes
    It's a Sahara.

Wolfslash16 likes this.
  18. JJ75

JJ75 Active Member

Car(s):
    2012 JKU
    If true that's smart design. Handles serve both as Oh-Shit bars and handles to help operate the windshield folding.

19. Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2013 JKU
    Garage Profiles:
    New Rubicon wheels are actually not bad looking .... the Sahara / Sport ones are a bit ugly IMO.

20. Cal_JLU

Cal_JLU Active Member

Car(s):
    Future JLU
    A few things:

- I see no visible indication of a fold-down windshield, though the base of the A-pillar is well camo'd. Seems like there aren't many people that use the fold-down feature of the windshield for Jeep to want to keep it around.
    - The JLU with the elevated ride height seems to be sporting "35's going by a spot-of-the-eye guesstimate
    - Not sure about this: It appears the flares on the raised JLU are a little different from the one w/ the more "standard" ride height.