2017-18 Wrangler (JK, JL, JT) Toledo Assembly Plant Schedule

1. Administrator

Staff Member

Garage Profiles:
    #1 Administrator, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Here is the latest 2017-2018 Wrangler (JK, JL, JT) schedule for the Wrangler Assembly Plants.

Wrangler Assembly Plants

Current: TSP (Toledo Supplier Park - Toledo South)
    • Building 2017 JK Wranglers until 9/30/2017
    • Will build 2018 JK Wranglers starting 10/02/2017 until 3/30/2018
    • Will shut down starting 3/31/2018 for an estimated 6 months to retool for the 2019 JT Pickup which begins production in October 2018
    Future: TNAP (Toledo North Assembly Plant)
    • Currently building 2017 Jeep Cherokee KL until 4/07/2017
    • Plant will shut down from 4/08/2017 until November 2017 to prepare for Wrangler JL production
    • All-New Wrangler JL will launch 11/13/2017

Note: Information is subject to change

* Updated 02/15/17 with latest info.

Bill P, jb1990, ModdedJK and 2 others like this.
  2. Dackel

Dackel Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2014 JKU, Ram 1500
    Thanks for the info. I read some speculation that the plant might not need more than a few weeks for retooling because they were building a facility outside the current plant for building aluminum body parts. Also that the current and new bodies would have the same BOF attachment points, allowing for a short changeover period from steel to aluminum. Good to have more details!

3. Taimaishu

Taimaishu Member

Vehicle(s):
    TJ
    But what does BOF attachment points have to do with changing over from steel to aluminum though? I thought none of the frame was going to be aluminum and only non structural parts would be switching to aluminum? The leaked alcoa memo mentioned front and rear door inners, hood outer and inner.

4. Dackel

Dackel Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2014 JKU, Ram 1500
    It's based on the fact that steel dust can contaminate any aluminum parts causing it to corrode and any paint applied on top of the contaminated parts to erode the paint. This means they have to build a clean room attached to the paint shop to thoroughly clean the aluminum parts prior to painting.

If they can use the new facility to do so the existing line can avoid a prolonged plant shutdown if the tooling for the JK and JL can be married. Theory being it's possible if they have the same BOF attachment points. That's how I understood it at least but this may have been more relevant if the JL was going to be an all aluminum body. Now that we know it isn't it may be a moot point and from the info posted in the OP it seems the second line will be shutting down for a very long time before JL production starts.

The Mad Duck and Cam like this.
  5. ModdedJK

ModdedJK Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Modded JK
    Wow that's a long shut down for Toledo North. Only 1 to 2 months for the current line? i'm no expert on this but for all new model that sounds like a quick retooling time. Another sign it won't be a drastic change I would think.

6. F1Mark

F1Mark Member

Vehicle(s):
    YJ
    Any word on where the JT will be built? Will additional retooling have to be done when it launches or will the shut down for JL tooling take care of that?

7. Milous

Milous Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Yes
    JT = current plant (Toledo Supplier Park) after retooling.

8. OP
    Administrator

Staff Member

Garage Profiles:
    Update/Revision:

Current: TSP (Toledo Supplier Park - Toledo South)

• Will shut down starting 3/31/2018 for an estimated 3-4 months or longer to retool for the 2019 JT Pickup

Jeep XXL likes this.
  9. Jeep XXL

Jeep XXL Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Jeep Wrangler
    The pickup is really starting production in mid 2018?? I want to believe that sooo bad.

10. Milous

Milous Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Yes
    Most likely a little later, still trying to narrow it down.

Bill P likes this.
  11. Cam

Cam Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    In between Wranglers right now
    So only JT Wrangler pickup will be built on Toledo South line after it stops making the JK? If thats the case they must be different enough in production to not use the extra capacity to also build the JL or JLU on the same line as the JT.

12. jb1990

jb1990 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    97 TJ Wrangler
    It says "starting 3/31/2018 for an estimated 3-4 months or longer" so it could be August or later based on that. With a totally new vehicle I would always err on later. It might end up only a month or so earlier than what most people expected.

13. Jeep XXL

Jeep XXL Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Jeep Wrangler
    Keep us posted please! I can hold off until summer but if closer to winter I may give in and look at a RAM 1500. I'm hoping the JT is a serious pickup and not one of these JK conversions out there now.

14. Bill P

Bill P Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Wrangler Unlimited
    I hope it is true and if it is kudos to FCA for not being lazy or cutting corners with the JT. It's the best way to ensure big pickup sales to justify it's own line in Toledo.

15. Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2013 JKU
    Garage Profiles:
    Its not going to be full size. No way FCA will canibalize their Ram sales .... the JT will be 100% a Tacoma / Canyon / Colorado / Ranger competitor of similar size. So if your not happy with the AEV Brute I doubt you'll be happy with it.

16. Jeep XXL

Jeep XXL Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Jeep Wrangler
    I sort of expected that but willing to wait and see. If it's a stretched JL with at least 6' bed I would think long and hard about it. Good towing rating is key too. That's where it needs to separate itself from the Wrangler.

17. Alx

Alx Member

Vehicle(s):
    Self Built
    Yes.

TSP will not build JL, only JT after retooling. TNAP will be converted to BOF for the JL and JLU only. The JT can't fit the current JK line so it will build the JK until JT is ready for launch. Hence, the overlap.

The Mad Duck likes this.
  18. The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck Member

Vehicle(s):
    2011 Dodge Nitro R/T 4X4 (My Fake Jeep), 2010 Dodge Journey R/T, 1962 Imperial
    #18 The Mad Duck, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    I Would Bet a Large Amount of Money at Very Big Odds that the Toledo North Plant Making the JT Would Also Have the Capability to Make the JL and or the JLU on the Same Line at the Same Time as Needed ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    A BOF Vehicle is Slightly Less Complicated that a Uni-Body One as Far as Body Panel assembly Goes .
    Can You Spell Spot Welding Fixture !
    To Not Have that Capacity Would be Really, Really Dumb!
    Besides It Would Not be that Hard to Do. These Models are Very Closely Related !
    You Could Meet the Changing Demands of the Market in a Very Short Period of Time.
    And You Never Know What Model Will be the Best Seller.
    Next this Model of Jeep Prints Money, Period.
    My Duck Hunting Buddy who is a Salesman at a CDJR Dealer has to Laugh when he Walks by a Jeep Jeep (Wrangler or Unlimited) and Says want to See the Program (a Sales Promotion Price) on the Jeep - He Points at the Sticker Price.

19. DropTopGal

DropTopGal Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    TBA: 2018 JL Wrangler, 2017 GS Corvette
    Garage Profiles:
    Other manufacturers make multiple models of the same year on the same assembly line, so why not Jeep.