Sponsored

2 Door information? Possible delay?

Alvin R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
We've seen the 2 door spied twice.. and it broke down during one of those sightings. It has been heavily camouflaged both of the two times that it has been seen. The 4 door has been spotted a countless number of times throughout the country. That poses the question.. is there going to be a delay for the 2 door at launch? We've already seen the 4 door with the leaked images. Also, Jeep put a 4 door Wrangler out front the Toledo plant with a tarp on it..
Sponsored

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
No reason to think the 2 door JL will be delayed and there's been no info or rumor that it will be. When the 2 door prototypes were spied they were as heavily camouflaged as the 4 door prototypes.

What I'm curious is if the 2 door will look different in any way than the 4 door. The JK and JKU are basically exactly same except minus two doors but would be nice if they gave the 2 door JL a unique look in some way.

OP
OP

Alvin R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
No reason to think the 2 door JL will be delayed and there's been no info or rumor that it will be. When the 2 door prototypes were spied they were as heavily camouflaged as the 4 door prototypes.

What I'm curious is if the 2 door will look different in any way than the 4 door. The JK and JKU are basically exactly same except minus two doors but would be nice if they gave the 2 door JL a unique look in some way.
The 2 door was recently spied.. completely camouflaged

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
There is nothing critically different in the JL vs JLU to require a delay. Even if the few components like shorter drive shaft, roof or smaller fuel tank were to have an issue they would be quick fixes, not causes for delay. The things that would cause major delays are stuff like engine, transmission, axle, transfer-case, ECU, etc; all things that both models share.

Also, the shrouded Wrangler out front is a JKU not JLU despite the image it's trying to convey. Of note they haven't really had both models out there at the same time from what I remember. Usually it was a JKU and then a Libery or Cherokee (denoting both production limes), but occasionally there will be a JK out there instead of a JKU, but I don't recall both being out there, so I wouldn't read anything into that. I suspect there will be a brief period of both exposed JK and JLU, and then a JT replica/mule under a tarp once they remove the final JK(U).

They have also put out other easter egg special editions like the Willy MB tribute vehicle, so they use it as the spirit takes them.

Sponsored

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee

I'd be surprised if they look any different. Not only does it keep certain parts common (grill, doors, fenders etc) but it keeps the design language strong and consistent for the whole line up.. I also don't think they want buyers wanting 4 doors but liking the 2 door design better and vice versa.

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
I'd be surprised if they look any different. Not only does it keep certain parts common (grill, doors, fenders etc) but it keeps the design language strong and consistent for the whole line up.. I also don't think they want buyers wanting 4 doors but liking the 2 door design better and vice versa.
Yea from the spy pics you can tell it'll have same grille, hood, windshield rake, etc but there might be smaller styling details under the camo that will set them apart. At least I hope.

And why would it be a problem if buyers like one model's design better than the other as long as they buy one of Wranglers. Maybe since 2 door sales are lagging more and more behind the 4 door, they'll actually style the 2 door slightly different to boost sales.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I don't know that 2-door sales have been lagging as much as the 4-door has broadened the appeal. When I was in my 20s I loved my 2-door YJ. But at this point in my life if they didn't offer a 4-door I don't think I could consider a Wrangler as a daily driver.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr sales have dropped recently year over year from a peak around 2012 for the 2012-13 MY. Still pretty good, but down from around 60K+ to 40-50K, and coming back from 2:1 ratio to now above 3.x:1 ratio of 4dr to 2dr.

Previously I would say that Jeep/FCA wouldn't want to increase 2dr sales since they had a fixed capacity even with overtime and reduced holidays, and the 4dr garnered both more revenue and profit for the limited production slots. But in the new plant they are supposed to be able to produce around 300K under normal conditions, so initially they might have additional capacity that they can do things to boost 2dr sales at the expense of 4dr if overall production numbers and profits were imoroved, but it still seems like a bad business move to do any measures that would have customers chose the lower revenue/profits of the 2dr vs 4 dr, and that's what we're talking about here with limiting features to one model.
Otherwise I don't see people saying, "I wasn't going to buy a Wrangler, but since the 2dr has a feature a 4dr doesn't, now I will" and that not translating into even more sales of 4dr also getting that feature.

Here's the last figures I've seen with a good split between models. (I like 'em both I have one of each :like: )

IMG_0191.PNG

PSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
but it still seems like a bad business move to do any measures that would have customers chose the lower revenue/profits of the 2dr vs 4 dr, and that's what we're talking about here with limiting features to one model.
Otherwise I don't see people saying, "I wasn't going to buy a Wrangler, but since the 2dr has a feature a 4dr doesn't, now I will" and that not translating into even more sales of 4dr also getting that feature.
This. The 4 door is no doubt a bigger profit generator. Just one look at how much a fully spec'd one runs at the dealer tells us that. And just like Jeep resisted changing up the JL so much from the JK because it's still selling so well, I don't think they're looking to change up the 2 door to 4 door sales ratio. The sales trend in favor of the 4 door is probably generating them record profit from the Wrangler line.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camouflaged maybe as a 4 door? :D
I think you're on to something, wasn't the LJ really a 4dr camouflaged as a 2dr, and the letters J & L are just the inverse of L & J, therefore it must be that the JL is secretly really just a 2dr camouflaged as a 4dr, ..oh.. WoW...

Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door information? Possible delay? {filename}

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
You've been waitingE="The Great Grape Ape, post: 5116, member: 10208"]I think you're on to something, wasn't the LJ really a 4dr camouflaged as a 2dr, and the letters J & L are just the inverse of L & J, therefore it must be that the JL is secretly really just a 2dr camouflaged as a 4dr, ..oh.. WoW...

Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door information? Possible delay? {filename}
[/QUOTE]
You've been waiting too Long ! The Suspense is too much !

SteveC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK, Ford Explorer
I don't know that 2-door sales have been lagging as much as the 4-door has broadened the appeal. When I was in my 20s I loved my 2-door YJ. But at this point in my life if they didn't offer a 4-door I don't think I could consider a Wrangler as a daily driver.
Same here and the choice is not only between how many doors/seats you want. The 4 door's longer wheelbase also makes for a better on road ride (even some off road conditions). Resale is also slightly better on the JKU versus the JK

As far as whether they will make them more different, it also makes no financial sense to have a feature in one and not the other unless. If you're going to spend the R&D and invest in certain features or technology you might as well sell as many as possible. Economies of scale and all that.

OP
OP

Alvin R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Still nothing on the 2 door.. no new spy shots.. just the same shots we have from a while back (completely camo'd, no grab handles in A pillars like the first JLU shots from over a year ago)

The possibility of a delay can't be ruled out at this point. We've seen hundreds of spy shots and they were all JLU.
Sponsored