SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
As we all wait for the release, Ive been contemplating picking up a taco when my gut is telling me to buy a wrangler. Anyone else on the same boat? What are your Pros and Cons for the Wrangler and Taco? :rock:
Sponsored

Work

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Willys Wheeler Granite Crystal
I was pretty torn myself as I really like the looks of the new taco, but then I went and drove one. Felt really sluggish. And I found the interior pretty uncomfortable compared to my jk. I was pretty disappointed, after seeing the new interior I'm sold on the JLU. If they were cheaper I could see it, but for what they charge I just couldn't do it. Not that jeeps aren't expensive, but the Tacoma doesn't have the love factor that makes a Jeep worth the money.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
:ontheloo:

:asshat:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Taco - Cons: Least V6 torque in the segment, drum brakes (in 2017??), composite material for a cargo box, seating position like a Camry, less interior space, less aftermarket support, more expensive to insure and repair. Pros: more towing capacity.

Jeep - It won WWII, has bald eagles under the hood, is WAY more fun to own and operate, are pretty cheap and easy to work on, parts are everywhere, insurance is cheap, gets excellent fuel economy in stock form, has more power, screams "America!" everywhere you take it, chicks dig it, can tolerate being dirty inside, feels more truck-like behind the wheel, has highest resale value of any vehicle in America, etc.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
There is no " Jeep Versus Anything". A Jeep is instantly Recognized, any time, anywhere ; it's Consistently Capable, from 1941 to the present. Removable top, doors, customizable for any purpose, it has avoided Fads and Focus Groups, remaining true to its roots.
The JL promises to continue this tradition.

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
As we all wait for the release, Ive been contemplating picking up a taco when my gut is telling me to buy a wrangler. Anyone else on the same boat? What are your Pros and Cons for the Wrangler and Taco? :rock:
I would take the Jeep Wrangler over the Toyota Tacoma any day of the week, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the Tacoma. The Tacoma will be more reliable and end up costing you much less in maintenance in the long run but as far as off road capability, aftermarket support, and pure iconic status the Wrangler beats it every time. If you are going to be buying Toyota you should be looking at older models in my opinion. The 80's-90's were Toyota's golden years. Did I mention how cheap they are? Throw some one ton axles, lockers, 40 inch tires, and some crazy low gears and you will have a capable rig that would put a Wrangler to shame. All this for about half the money or even less if you do the work your self.

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is no " Jeep Versus Anything". A Jeep is instantly Recognized, any time, anywhere ; it's Consistently Capable, from 1941 to the present. Removable top, doors, customizable for any purpose, it has avoided Fads and Focus Groups, remaining true to its roots.
The JL promises to continue this tradition.
This is exactly why I will be getting the JL. There is no vehicle more iconic than the Wrangler that the relatively average Joe can afford.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
The Wrangler is iconic. And it's fun to drive and great off-road with great aftermarket support and its convertible. But it also leaks, rides rough, has outdated technology, the tops are a pain to take down, it's loud, the gas mileage sucks, the seats don't adjust well, the side airbags are optional and there are no rear airbags. (it looks like the JL will fix some of these).

Great to love a Wrangler but it shouldn't blind us to the fact it's not for everyone and there are equally good options out there depending on priorities.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The Tacoma will be more reliable and end up costing you much less in maintenance in the long run
Surprisingly, that's not really true. A lot of people think that due to other FCA products lacking in those areas, but the Wrangler does quite well, and just like the Tacoma they both are perennial best in class winners for cost of ownership in their categories and very close to each other, and well ahead of other options (like the $41K+ for a Cherokee, or ~ $40K for a Subaru Outback), both the Tacoma and Wrangler not only lead the resale numbers, they also lead the cost of ownership as well.

So this perceived gulf in reliability and cost of maintenance isn't born out by the authorities on the subject which put them right next to each other.

https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/total-cost-of-ownership/

I've included a JKU Sport to Rubicon HR for range , and the Tacoma SR to TRD Pro for comparison. they trade spots depending on configuration, but both are better than most of their competition out there and are far more similar than people give the Wrangler credit for.

IMG_0384.jpg

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_0384.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Surprisingly, that's not really true. A lot of people think that due to other FCA products lacking in those areas, but the Wrangler does quite well, and just like the Tacoma they both are perennial best in class winners for cost of ownership in their categories and very close to each other, and well ahead of other options (like the $41K+ for a Cherokee, or ~ $40K for a Subaru Outback), both the Tacoma and Wrangler not only lead the resale numbers, they also lead the cost of ownership as well.

So this perceived gulf in reliability and cost of maintenance isn't born out by the authorities on the subject which put them right next to each other.

https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/total-cost-of-ownership/

I've included a JKU Sport to Rubicon HR for range , and the Tacoma SR to TRD Pro for comparison. they trade spots depending on configuration, but both are better than most of their competition out there and are far more similar than people give the Wrangler credit for.

IMG_0384.jpg
I wasn't aware of this info until I saw this. I'm really hoping this still rings true with the upcoming JL.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
My buddy got 16 with his Taco. I got 15.5 with my Frontier. I got 19 with both my 3.8 JKU and the 3.6 JKU. They are GREAT on fuel in stock form.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I get 13 MPG - 16 MPG on my JKU with 35s lol

Back to the Taco vs Wrangler Debate. Its comes down to i you want a truck or not. I am ready to give up the SUV for a pick up so even though I love my Wrangler I would go and get a truck. If your comparing pick ups I would say to include the Colorado/Canyon in there too. GM's resale values and cost of ownership have improved greatly in the last few years.

Sport11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I get 13 MPG - 16 MPG on my JKU with 35s lol

Back to the Taco vs Wrangler Debate. Its comes down to i you want a truck or not. I am ready to give up the SUV for a pick up so even though I love my Wrangler I would go and get a truck. If your comparing pick ups I would say to include the Colorado/Canyon in there too. GM's resale values and cost of ownership have improved greatly in the last few years.
Yes but still not as reliable and resale not as good as the Tacoma. Speaking of resale, it'll be interesting to see how the JT pickup's resale is compared to the JL/JLU Wrangler - whether it'll be as strong as Wrangler resale has been or if it'll be closer to the resale value of other midsize pickups.
Sponsored