Sponsored

JLU Wrangler testing with larger and wider tires (285/70/17)

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

UPDATED WITH VERIFIED INFO:
  • 245/75R17 tires standard on Sport trim
  • LT285/70/R17 tires standard on Rubicon trim.

The same new BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires have now been spotted on multiple JLU prototypes. Zooming in on one of our JLU spy photos shows that the JLU prototypes' tires are both taller and wider than the current JKU's tires. The JLU prototypes' tires measure 285/70/17 (as shown below), which is wider than the JK factory tires ranging from 225-255 width. The prototype JLU's tire diameter at 32.71 inches is also larger than the JKU Rubicon model's 32.05 inch diameter (based on its 255/75/17 tires).

Assuming these are the tires we see on the production JL/JLU, what does this tell us besides the obvious switch from Goodyear to BF Goodrich tires and extra traction provided by wider/larger tires? Wider tires are heavier, experience more rolling resistance and wind resistance, all of which theoretically lower MPG, but this should be more than offset by the new 8 speed automatic transmission and more efficient engines to be offered. The wider and larger tires may also mean widened fenders are hidden underneath the camouflage. Larger fenders and tires may be one of the reasons for the shape of the new grille which tapers inwards towards the bottom (perhaps to make more room for the wider tires/fenders).

Bigger factory tires for the Wrangler were long overdue in our opinion. We also hope that the fenders and wheel backspacing have been designed to accommodate 35 inch and larger tires without modification needed.

2018-wrangler-tires.jpg

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed Grille13.jpg

Front view of the larger width.

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed Grille8.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Bigger factory tires for the Wrangler were long overdue in our opinion. We also hope that the fenders and wheel backspacing have been designed to accommodate 35 inch and larger tires without modification needed.
They do look nice and beefy. ^^^ that''d be cool to be able to fit 35" without having to trim fenders or lifting.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
If they offer a diesel at launch I will get a JLU, and these are the tires I will choose.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like BFG KO2s which I just put on my JKU ... great tire, and much better then stock. Its also the same tire the Raptor comes with.

MDWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ, Dodge Journey, Toyota Corolla
If they send them stock with this, this means there's one less mod I need to do myself. I'm liking what Jeep is doing for this Wrangler more and more.

Sponsored

LordEgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I read that as offsetting and pinch welding issues resolved. I could be wrong but I bet you'll still need lift.

Deacon Blues

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Jeep just announced the 2017 Rubicon Recon Edition comes with modifications that fit 35" tires without rubbing. Don't know if that means we'll have the same 35" tire clearance stock for the JL, but after reading this thread I hopeful.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/02/06/2017-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-recon/
What a disappointment. In my humble opinion, it looks terrible. The wheels look very cheap. The red accents look like the trimmings of a burlesque house. The graphics look like a last minute afterthought and the black grill looks like Bubba went to town with a can of black spray paint. I guess I'll be waiting to see what s offered in 2018.

DropTopGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA: 2018 JL Wrangler, 2017 GS Corvette
Vehicle Showcase
I like! IMHO, this tire size is the minimal that any Jeep should have. Looks good to me and I wouldn't feel the immediate need to go larger. Granted, I like black wheels.
FYI:
285/70R17
Diameter : 32.7"
Width : 11.2"
Wheel : 17"
Sidewall : 7.9"
Circum. : 102.7"
Revs/Mile : 635

Deacon Blues

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I like! IMHO, this tire size is the minimal that any Jeep should have. Looks good to me and I wouldn't feel the immediate need to go larger. Granted, I like black wheels.
FYI:
285/70R17
Diameter : 32.7"
Width : 11.2"
Wheel : 17"
Sidewall : 7.9"
Circum. : 102.7"
Revs/Mile : 635
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, however I will miss the Hardrock. I was looking forward to a 2018 edition.

Sponsored

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
So that's probably a Rubicon mule. In any case I like what I hear. I'll be tuning in closely to the forum and hoping this means more tire for the Sport trim too.