Sponsored

Panel-Hardtop Theory

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
My children go nutty for Jeep rides because they love to go top down and doors off. (Lower 1/2 soft door on in the rear of my JK), and they LOVE going off-road. They could care less about vents in the rear of the center column, reading lights, or a reclining rear seat back.
They're not the ones who will have to be shelling out $50K for one, either.
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The point about how kids love Jeeps is one that Marketing ignores at their peril ; when those "kids" become young adults, they want the vehicles that they had fun with. That means having base vehicles that they can afford, not the Range Rover pricing for the older, jaded "arrived" Demographic.
How many on this Forum either grew up with Jeeps, or have made "memories" , Adventures with them ?
The point is, they are blank slates, with a bedrock core of Capability. What you slather on to that "base" is totally personal, but that "Base" platform must be affordable, and uncompromising.

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
The point about how kids love Jeeps is one that Marketing ignores at their peril ; when those "kids" become young adults, they want the vehicles that they had fun with. That means having base vehicles that they can afford, not the Range Rover pricing for the older, jaded "arrived" Demographic.
How many on this Forum either grew up with Jeeps, or have made "memories" , Adventures with them ?
The point is, they are blank slates, with a bedrock core of Capability. What you slather on to that "base" is totally personal, but that "Base" platform must be affordable, and uncompromising.
well stated.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
They're not the ones who will have to be shelling out $50K for one, either.
I am, though, and I'm perfectly fine with it. Don't get me wrong, I like the creature comforts. They hust have nothing to do with why I buy a Jeep.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The point about how kids love Jeeps is one that Marketing ignores at their peril ; when those "kids" become young adults, they want the vehicles that they had fun with. That means having base vehicles that they can afford, not the Range Rover pricing for the older, jaded "arrived" Demographic...
I donā€™t disagree with your argument, it definitely plays a role, and likely is an issue discussed by FCA.
However, many of those kids will be served by hand-me downs, second hand vehicles, and just the act of seeing soeone drive by in one. The number of kids I see light-up as I drive by in my big Tonka coloured Wranglers and wave at them or they see the Minions passengers seat cover is hillarious and heat-warming at the same time (yeah my girlfriend say Iā€™m a big softie for that).

I agree that the long-term hook can be set as your first car, and I know many people out here whose first car err.. vehicle.. it is , some of whom have asked me about it (and Iā€™ve dissuaded many), but when the parents buy their kids a Wrangler, the best one is the base JK/JKU (I prefer JKU for stability to counter young driversā€™ over-reactions) with a manual transmission so they truly learn to drive and get feedback from their first vehicle, but it remains a ā€˜coolā€™ vehicle, and a practical vehicle for our Winters and Summers, and also likely one they can keep through college and beyond or resell and still get a lot back.

As a single kid buying it alone with no help, yeah, itā€™s a tough nut to crack the ~$25K entry fee vs a compact or cheap sedan, but for those customers that are lost there are others that are gained.

And a big consideration that likely keeps FCA from focusing on the ā€˜kid crowdā€™ is the idea that while your strategic thinking makes sense, itā€™s hard to give up millions of today dollars by lowering the price, in the hopes of gaining said millions or more back from future potential re-buys.

Also, itā€™s tough to justify any reductions at any price point when they are all selling like hotcakes, should the Sahara or Rubicon falter because of consumer price concerns, I think that would alter pricing right quick, faster than potential future sales might.

Itā€™s a tough balance, and as long as they sell-out theyā€™ll likely just keep doing whatā€™s been working ā€˜til it fails.

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Absolutely

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I am, though, and I'm perfectly fine with it. Don't get me wrong, I like the creature comforts. They hust have nothing to do with why I buy a Jeep.
But especially for younger buyers, things we regard as "creature comforts" are basic requirements.

For example, no one under 30 is going to buy a new vehicle that doesn't at a minimum have USB and Bluetooth, and probably not one without Android/CarPlay connectivity.

Itā€™s a tough balance, and as long as they sell-out theyā€™ll likely just keep doing whatā€™s been working ā€˜til it fails.
Which is why Jeep also hasn't done a lot to improve quality/reliability; as long as people buy Wranglers that leak in the rain, they will leak in the rain.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
But especially for younger buyers, things we regard as "creature comforts" are basic requirements.

For example, no one under 30 is going to buy a new vehicle that doesn't at a minimum have USB and Bluetooth, and probably not one without Android/CarPlay connectivity.
This cannot be stated strongly enough. Jeep has an icon, and as several others in this thread have stated; there are many moves available to FCA, to ensure this iconic status lasts for generations to come. And much of what is poo-poo'd by long time enthusiasts is exactly what is needed to make demonstrative impact on the most ripe and most potentially dominant purchasing force and loyal lifelong consumer for the brand's future.

FYI FCA:
Get the safari concept translucent roof, half door version of the JLU / JLUXL in the upcoming Jurassic park movie right damn now.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, guys, so what creature comforts is the JL missing? Let's see, it has heated seats, heated steering wheel, rear air vents, probably the best OEM nav/entertainment system, blind spot warning, rear cam with ability to check it while driving (for towing), leather, cabin air filter, Homelink, automatic top, LED lighting, etc. The only thing I can think of that it is missing is maybe lane departure warning and ball cooling seats. What's not there that it so badly needs? You do realize that there has been more moaning about the price than lack of creature comforts, right? Said creature comforts are part of what has justified the price increase.

My point was that my kids have never talked about those. They talk about top down and doors off. They talk about going off-road. They view the Jeep as fun. NEVER have I heard one of them comment about the stereo or seat covering. My oldest daughter wants my JK, badly, for the above reasons. The new JL has all that, which is what was most important to me. If it sacrificed any of it, it becomes another 4x4 SUV. If that were the case, I'd get a ZR2 and save a ton of money. (I get my Dad's GM discount, so I priced one, loaded, for $38,000.) The ZR2, however, isn't a Jeep. Not even close. As far as the iconic elements that make it a Jeep, I believe they nailed it. Why? Because they did not screw it up. It also looks like they nailed it on the other stuff, too.

One of the things, btw, I'm most looking forward to is the Uconnect system. Mine is a daily driver as well as weekend off-roader. I still don't care about rear vents, though. The HVAC system in my JK has been powerful enough that they aren't really necessary.

Btw, the cabin air filter on a Jeep really makes me laugh. See how that works in Moab. :cwl:

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Exactly. The Jeep Wrangler is the OPPOSITE of the Cocooned Luxo-Ute, BMW , Land Rover, Whatever experience.
It appeals to the Contrarian, the What If, the What's Over There, in short, to children of all ages, who recognize and respond to "Challenge" , and hear that "Different Drummer"
This isn't about "Perfection", and having everything done for you; quite the Contrary, something called "Effort" and "Input" is required. The fact thet you can Modify, Maintain, and DRIVE a Wrangler to adventures of your own devising has nothing to do with heated anything, or " connectivity".
You either "get it" , or you don't. No tears shed if you don't, the Lifestyle and Image buyers keep the brand afloat, and guarantee its thriving for another Generation. Evolution Since 1941.

Sponsored

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly. The Jeep Wrangler is the OPPOSITE of the Cocooned Luxo-Ute, BMW , Land Rover, Whatever experience.
It appeals to the Contrarian, the What If, the What's Over There, in short, to children of all ages, who recognize and respond to "Challenge" , and hear that "Different Drummer"
This isn't about "Perfection", and having everything done for you; quite the Contrary, something called "Effort" and "Input" is required. The fact thet you can Modify, Maintain, and DRIVE a Wrangler to adventures of your own devising has nothing to do with heated anything, or " connectivity".
You either "get it" , or you don't. No tears shed if you don't, the Lifestyle and Image buyers keep the brand afloat, and guarantee its thriving for another Generation. Evolution Since 1941.
3-Blazing-Saddles-quotes.gif

RSjeep30

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Patriot Latitude, 2019 2 dr Rubicon Ocean Blue Metallic [Hoping to order 12/18]
Occupation
Structural Designer
I get where you're coming from here. I've understood from when I first started getting interested in Jeeps that they didn't always have the creature comforts that a normal SUV would have. They're built for customization and off-roading. Yes I understand it's nice to have some modern features, but having something that is almost bare bones and is a starting point for a project is what Wranglers are all about. I don't need all the bells and whistles, heck I wouldn't even care if I had manual windows and no A/C.

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get where you're coming from here. I've understood from when I first started getting interested in Jeeps that they didn't always have the creature comforts that a normal SUV would have. They're built for customization and off-roading. Yes I understand it's nice to have some modern features, but having something that is almost bare bones and is a starting point for a project is what Wranglers are all about. I don't need all the bells and whistles, heck I wouldn't even care if I had manual windows and no A/C.
No AC is where I draw the line.... that is just abuse not providing A/C

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
If I'm spending $30k-40k on a vehicle, it damn well better have power windows & locks, AC, and butt heaters! (Also worth mentioning are good cup holders and a sunglass cubby) :)

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for sending me down the wormhole of great clips on YouTube. Never saw the 'King of New York'. I think I watched half of it already on YouTube now.
Sponsored