Sponsored

Anyone afraid of receiving a first year JL lemon?

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
That’s fine, Consumers Reports is written by Maytag repairmen in New York City who take taxis everywhere. That’s why they hate the Wrangler too.

Taking car advice from them is like using People magazine for investment advice or Home and Garden to shop for a new computer or TV.
I still remember Consumers Reports review article on the YJ when it first came out. :punch:

CR spent an entire long paragraph complaining that the rear seat is a death trap because someone seated back there, can't get back out without help. Their issue was that the front seat release lever is located under the front edge of the front seat, where someone in the rear seat couldn't reach. If CR bothered to read the YJ's User Manual, they would have known that Jeep thought of this :idea: , and there was a second release lever under the rear edge of the front seat. Basically, all the rear passenger needed to do, was to use their toe to pull up on that second release lever.

CR are proven idiots. :mad:
Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
It doesn't matter what you believe, numbers don't lie. FCA and Jeep recently have had a ton of problems on new models. My 2007 JK had several recalls and TSB fixes for everything from the vehicle stalling to roof leaks, clutch, etc. The worst was auto transmissions overheating causing vehicle fires. My 2014 Cherokee had 6 recalls in the first year, 3 on the transmission alone. There were a lot of vehicles where the transmission completely failed. That is why I'm taking a wait and see approach with the JL and maybe 2020 may be the year I get back into a Wrangler again.

Green Ranger

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD 2018 JLU Unlimited - Tank Green
Last years model, or new..

I don't own a Jeep Wrangler......yet. I plan on getting the new JLU Unlimited,, but I am worried about getting the first year of a new model SUV. Since I don't own one now, can someone give me a few points on if these are MAJOR design changes? Or, just few TWEAKS? If the latter, I'll jump into the JLU, vs getting last years model.

Thanks everyone!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
It doesn't matter what you believe, numbers don't lie.
It’s not what I believe, those are quantitative numbers from car professionals, and specific to the Wrangler, not watered down by FCA’s Fiat 500s or Jeep’s Patriots, etc.

Again I’ll take the specific solid numbers from the sources I listed rather than some generic FCA impression, especially if anyone like Constipated Regrets is involved in them.

As for the TSBs and recalls, they obviously mean nothing if people hold Toyota in high regard yet they get some of the most/biggest recalls, includig the first ever Frame Rust recall/buy-back. Does CR put a caveat/disclaimer after that serious of a recall goes out or are those 2000s era Taco & Tundras still awesome?

How is the recent Kobe Aluminium & Steel quality fiasco going to affect the rating for the Fords, GMs, Toyotas and Hondas with that overrated ‘not quite so military-grade’ stuff?

Taking a wait & see approach makes sense for all mfrs and models, I don’t gloss over the Wrangler’s Pentastar issues and others, but it’s not limited to FCA or Wrangler; all of them have issues from domestic to import and cheap to luxury too. However most people/magazines seem to forget when those ratings darlings come back with a lot of problems until they are review a model a few years later and they might happen to mention that that significant fault on previous models is no longer a concern.

iki4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i Sportline
Last years model, or new..

I don't own a Jeep Wrangler......yet. I plan on getting the new JLU Unlimited,, but I am worried about getting the first year of a new model SUV. Since I don't own one now, can someone give me a few points on if these are MAJOR design changes? Or, just few TWEAKS? If the latter, I'll jump into the JLU, vs getting last years model.

Thanks everyone!

from the looks of it, it seems like there aren't any major "changes" per se, but whatever the current JL will have, will just be lighter, stronger, and more efficient than the current JK. Things like the axle and fuel efficiency.
They still seem to be rolling with the typical 285hp/260tq engine **correct me if I'm wrong here** in the previous models (which will probably be a safe bet), along with the a few other newer engines that have a higher possibility of having problems.
Another thing to look at will be the interior upgrade, although not through the roofs different, but still upgraded enough that it could warrant buying the newer JL.
The outer body, as per popular demand, will remain very similar to the current models with a few tweaks here and there (lights, windshield etc)
There is also an option of an automatic sliding soft top, which probably wont be for me as Im looking for the Hard top version anyway...the Hard top version looks to be unchanged.

The advantage of the JL will be that this model would relatively remain unchanged up until 2028....I guess they change models around every 10 years or so, where as the JK would be the outgoing model...Im not sure one would want to spend 30K+ on an outdated model.

The advantage of the JK would be the price drop for a vehicle about 85% the same as the new incoming model.

The way I look at it is that if this new model is just a month or 2 away, might as well wait now and enjoy it for the foreseeable future instead of spending money on the older model and having that doubt of "old" in the back of your mind the whole time.

The big rumor here the last month or so was that Order Banks were to open yesterday, 10/16...which never happened despite many members here calling local dealerships and inquiring about it.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong here...Im also new to Jeeps in general.

Sponsored

Green Ranger

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD 2018 JLU Unlimited - Tank Green
from the looks of it, it seems like there aren't any major "changes" per se, but whatever the current JL will have, will just be lighter, stronger, and more efficient than the current JK. Things like the axle and fuel efficiency.
They still seem to be rolling with the typical 285hp/260tq engine **correct me if I'm wrong here** in the previous models (which will probably be a safe bet), along with the a few other newer engines that have a higher possibility of having problems.
Another thing to look at will be the interior upgrade, although not through the roofs different, but still upgraded enough that it could warrant buying the newer JL.
The outer body, as per popular demand, will remain very similar to the current models with a few tweaks here and there (lights, windshield etc)
There is also an option of an automatic sliding soft top, which probably wont be for me as Im looking for the Hard top version anyway...the Hard top version looks to be unchanged.

The advantage of the JL will be that this model would relatively remain unchanged up until 2028....I guess they change models around every 10 years or so, where as the JK would be the outgoing model...Im not sure one would want to spend 30K+ on an outdated model.

The advantage of the JK would be the price drop for a vehicle about 85% the same as the new incoming model.

The way I look at it is that if this new model is just a month or 2 away, might as well wait now and enjoy it for the foreseeable future instead of spending money on the older model and having that doubt of "old" in the back of your mind the whole time.

The big rumor here the last month or so was that Order Banks were to open yesterday, 10/16...which never happened despite many members here calling local dealerships and inquiring about it.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong here...Im also new to Jeeps in general.

Thanks for your comments. I had similar thoughts.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I still remember Consumers Reports review article on the YJ when it first came out. :punch:

CR spent an entire long paragraph complaining that the rear seat is a death trap because someone seated back there, can't get back out without help. Their issue was that the front seat release lever is located under the front edge of the front seat, where someone in the rear seat couldn't reach. If CR bothered to read the YJ's User Manual, they would have known that Jeep thought of this :idea: , and there was a second release lever under the rear edge of the front seat. Basically, all the rear passenger needed to do, was to use their toe to pull up on that second release lever.

CR are proven idiots. :mad:
I agree that CR are proven idiots, but they aren't necessarily wrong about the general practicality of the Wrangler as a daily driver. The Wrangler has never truly been that kind of vehicle, nor does it claim to be. Likewise, their contempt for Chrysler's quality has always been justified. They've never been wrong about that.

However, what killed their credibility for me was bashing a JK Sahara Unlimited's off-road capability in a review by flooring it in 4HI up a wet, rocky hill when the driver clearly had no idea what he was doing. You watch this jackass get absolutely everything wrong executing what should've been a simple hill climb, then blames the vehicle.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That’s fine, Consumers Reports is written by Maytag repairmen in New York City who take taxis everywhere. That’s why they hate the Wrangler too.

Taking car advice from them is like using People magazine for investment advice or Home and Garden to shop for a new computer or TV.

All I need to know comes from car experts like KBB, CBB, Edmunds, Intellichoice / TruckTrend;

• Top 5 Highest resale value for a decade, often #1 overall.
  • Lowest 5 cost of ownership
  • Top 5 SUVs under $25,000
  • Top 5 most fun SUVs (yeah that’s a KBB metric :sun:)

Exactly. ^^^ The day I read that they achieved 11 MPGs in a Jeep Liberty CRD, because they didn't understand how the fuel system worked and they were mistakingly cutting the actual numbers in half, is the day I realized that CR knows absolutely nothing about vehicles, especially 4x4 vehicles. Screw them and the horses they rode in on.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
I bought a new '12 JK Rubicon with the cylinder head casting problem. Does anybody know anything about the new 6 speed manual tranny? Other than this unknown and the new aluminum body parts; I don't foresee any teething problems. Dana's new transaxles shouldn't be of any concern.

Customers buying the turbo 4 cylinder might be concerned. I'm holding out for the diesel hopefully paired with the manual. If it that combination doesn't occur I'll do the updated Pentastar/manual tranny option.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
The fact that you'd lose at least $15K doesn't bother you?

As far as KBB goes, top resale value means it only depreciates 20% the millisecond you drive it off the lot, not 25%; you still lose a big chunk of change.
Hmm. Maybe. I traded in my wife's 2011 4 door black auto Rubi a year after I bought it (new - sticker was ~$36k) and only took a ~$5k hit, including tax. It had 15k miles. I don't think $416/month in depreciation is terrible for first year. $15k seems awfully high. Maybe I got lucky.

edit: math.

Sponsored

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
Hmm. Maybe. I traded in my wife's 2011 4 door black auto Rubi a year after I bought it (new - sticker was ~$36k) and only took a ~$5k hit, including tax. It had 15k miles. I don't think $416/month in depreciation is terrible for first year. $15k seems awfully high. Maybe I got lucky.

edit: math.
My 2015 freedom edition JKU deprecated only 3k in 2 years. Guess I got lucky also.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
However, what killed their credibility for me was bashing a JK Sahara Unlimited's off-road capability in a review by flooring it in 4HI up a wet, rocky hill when the driver clearly had no idea what he was doing. You watch this jackass get absolutely everything wrong executing what should've been a simple hill climb, then blames the vehicle.
Context is important; did they compare the Wrangler to other vehicles that, when faced with the same situation and driver, did make it up the hill?

If that's the case, "hill assist" and "intelligent 4WD" systems also make an important part of the buying decisions for many.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
My 2015 freedom edition JKU deprecated only 3k in 2 years. Guess I got lucky also.
More lucky than I if that was what you were out from a cash perspective after trading her in.... Felt like I stole it! I have the same feeling with my '16 Porsche Boxster Spyder right now. It's basically like I'm getting paid to drive it =) Makes the initial cash outlay hurt a lot less anyway. I'm sure it'll depreciate more over time, but its a great, completely opposite, vehicle to have next to the Wrangler.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Context is important; did they compare the Wrangler to other vehicles that, when faced with the same situation and driver, did make it up the hill?

If that's the case, "hill assist" and "intelligent 4WD" systems also make an important part of the buying decisions for many.
Well, they were arguing its traction control was pretty bad, but they weren't comparing it to another vehicle, nor were they executing a test of a normal driving situation that the average consumer would be in. In fact, the reviewer literally (and correctly) states that practically nobody takes them off-road.

Here's the video. And I lied. It's a '12.

https://www.consumerreports.org/vid...8035763001/jeep-wrangler-2012-2016-road-test/

Regardless of context or any comparison to another vehicle, that is not how you climb a hill in a standard SUV. Ever.