Sponsored

Is the $2500 increase in base price justified?

Is the $2500 increase justified?

• Yes

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 45.3%

• Total voters
OP
OP

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I think the Wrangler will be recognizable as such in 20-30 years. Thinking all vehicles will look like a Prius is ridiculous. Tech will change, it may be fuel cell, or hybrid or all electric or ? (probably sooner than 20 years) but I guarantee there will not be a convergence of styling at anytime in the future.

I remember when "prognosticators" said we would all have flying cars by the year 2000. Still waiting, and honestly I think that would be a disaster. We can't even keep from hitting each other in a 2 dimensional commuter world. :)

Tech will find solutions and design will live on. After living through the oil crisis of the 70's, nobody thought we would ever be able to buy a high horsepower car again. Today it's not too hard to find a 400+ horsepower vehicle that gets "decent" (better than 1960-1970s) mileage.

I voted justified but I admit I don't have a list of the improvements compared to the JK. I think some of that increase is supply and demand.
As consumers, we don’t see increase in price as justifiable by increased demand .. lol. You are right though. Can’t blame Jeep for wanting to increase profits when the opportunity exists.
Sponsored

Rambeaux

First Name
John J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Willys JKU
Occupation
Aircraft Doctor
Meh. It probably won't slow me down. It's only money, serves me no purpose sittin' at my bank. Smoke em if you got em!

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I'd say the $2500 is justified for all the standard extras. However I think the price hikes on options and yearly MSRP increase is a bit much.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
In terms of raw actual value, no, of course not. Wranglers have been overpriced, for what they are.

But it's the character and lack of market competition that make it sell out at inflated price, and retain sick resale value, despite its massive shortcomings.

The fact that several key safety/lighting/comfort upgrades are occurring this round, could perhaps be argued to make the JL worth somewhat close to the current jk's price.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
It's no more justified than the $50k price tag a loaded Rubi JK goes for. But it's all about the demand and people will pay.

Sponsored

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Well taken at face value $2,500 is about 10% on a Sport 2 dr roughly. At least up here it would be....

But if this is MSRP we are talking about just what portion of that increase will be passed on? I can't remember ever paying full pop MSRP on any new vehicle I have purchased in the past so walking into the dealer I would suspect they are willing to 'deal'. Yeah it's a brand new Jeep but that doesn't mean that folks will bid up the price, that would be crazy.

The other thought is that the price bump might push folks sitting on the fence to commit to the older model since it will be $2,500 'cheaper' than the new model. In the end it's about psychological manipulation IMHO..... leaking the manuals might have been a pretty clever thing to do, if intentional as it gives just enough tidbits of data to rabid buyers but without showing their entire hand which in this case will be reviews once the vehicles are out in the wild and the magazines and bloggers start writing about it.

I find today's vehicle prices are very cleverly crafted. For example up here last month Ram pickups were being discounted up to $16,000 off MSRP if you financed for 84 months at 4.19%. This month the finance rates are 1.49% for 36 months but only $10,500 in discounts. So basically they drop the interest rate, shorten the term but also decrease the discount. Thing is the 4.19% is an open loan so you can pay it down faster and save $ on the interest and therefore keep more of that 'discounted' price. If you get 0% financing for 36 months most likely that discount is even smaller. We have one very high volume dealer that went to 30% off MSRP last month on 'selected' Ram pickups vs the advertised 25%.

Hyundai up here is doing 0% for 84 months but with only $1000 of MSRP.

So IMHO a $2,500 'increase' could be pretty meaningless depending on how much wiggle room the dealer has and whether they are a volume dealer who make a higher percentage on volume or a small town dealer who doesn't do the volume and therefore may not get added volume discounts.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
On that notion, the wrangler will be $100,000 in a few decades.
People were shocked that I paid $16K for my fully optioned out YJ.

So, if that increase rate is consistent, a Wrangler will be more like $200K+ in a few (3) decades.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
People were shocked that I paid $16K for my fully optioned out YJ.

So, if that increase rate is consistent, a Wrangler will be more like $200K+ in a few (3) decades.
Yeah, but we'll all have flying cars by then, so it won't be the Wrangler anymore. It'll be the Skyler.

Here's a photo:

Bu0hYgsIAAEbUMy.jpg

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The Rubicon would hardly be a challenge with a Hoverjeep.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, but we'll all have flying cars by then, so it won't be the Wrangler anymore. It'll be the Skyler.

Here's a photo:

Bu0hYgsIAAEbUMy.jpg
At least its still a convertible

Sponsored

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR

Here's a photo:

Bu0hYgsIAAEbUMy.jpg
Hah! Someday we all will be moving around in autonomous flying vehicles that will surely hurt the off-road market but I like to think there would still be plenty of us around that want to 4x4 the old fashioned way :tumbleweed::jk::tumbleweed:

As for price increase...to me its all about justification. From what I have seen Jeep add to the new Wrangler I can see why the base price will go up. We will learn soon enough if this will hurt sales....but I doubt it.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I still say that JK was overpriced.

Now with JL there are huge updates spanning four major sections
- Updates inside the cabin
- Updates from the outside and on the chassis
- Motors
- Rear suspension group and front (steering suspension)
If we talk about each section, it will be a lot of talk.
So I deserve this increase from my point of view and wish an increase in options.
Sponsored