Sponsored

JL/JLU Wrangler 2.0L Turbo Gets 368 HP (Source: FCA docs to NHTSA)!

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
Why buy a jeep, if you're going to keep it on pavement it's whole life? It's like buying a truck, and never putting anything in the bed. Such a waste! And if you can afford such a waste, then you can afford to have a $30k vehicle as a toy.
Jeep police: "You have to pass our test as to why you want one. Otherwise you can't buy one."
Sponsored

Rambeaux

First Name
John J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Willys JKU
Occupation
Aircraft Doctor
Jeep police: "You have to pass our test as to why you want one. Otherwise you can't buy one."
They should do this when two people want to procreate as well. For realz.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

TxTravisty

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 OUTLANDER SPORT, 2008 BUICK ENCLAVE, 1933 CHEVY COUPE, 1968 MUSTANG
Jeep estimates 60% of Wrangler owners go off road and 80% of Rubicon owners do. I think the numbers are pretty over estimated. I think they may be referring to 2 door Wranglers. But that's still way higher than the industry average of 15% of other SUVs going off road. But again, good sales to anyone means more money into the next generation Wrangler. I would love a hose out interior and hand crank windows if the price would stay lower.
I thinking those high numbers are for the LIFE of the vehicle NOT a regular occurrence of off road.
The vast majority of Wranglers in my area are bone stock Sport Model Grocery getters, but most drop the top and lose the doors any chance they get... i.e. the open air feel in an SUV... It really is a life style vehicle for most owners.
Not that this would have any correlation to the off road numbers, because I am not a sexist, lol..., but here in south TX. where I live, no exaggeration almost 90% of the wranglers I see on the road daily, are owned by women. Even the few badass fully lifted ones... it's crazy!
Anyone else notice that in their area?
My wife jokes all the time, saying "JEEPs are for Girls", as she points out every female driver on the road. It is like an empowerment vehicle, maybe?.

theonerunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I thinking those high numbers are for the LIFE of the vehicle NOT a regular occurrence of off road.
The vast majority of Wranglers in my area are bone stock Sport Model Grocery getters, but most drop the top and lose the doors any chance they get... i.e. the open air feel in an SUV... It really is a life style vehicle for most owners.
Not that this would have any correlation to the off road numbers, because I am not a sexist, lol..., but here in south TX. where I live, no exaggeration almost 90% of the wranglers I see on the road daily, are owned by women. Even the few badass fully lifted ones... it's crazy!
Anyone else notice that in their area?
My wife jokes all the time, saying "JEEPs are for Girls", as she points out every female driver on the road. It like it is an empowerment vehicle.
I wonder if that ties back into the lifestyle thing, where if a girl drives one she thinks it sends the message about her, that she is outdoorsy in hopes of attracting a suitable mate who is also "outdoorsy". Jeeps are almost more status symbols than anything else these days.

Sponsored

TxTravisty

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just wanted to say with a Motor name like "The Hurricane" the I4 TURBO should wow us... if it come in well under the 268hp mark, it will be more of a tropical DEPRESSION...(after all the hype), not saying that is a low standard at all...lol
I do think that the after market world is going to BOOM with upgrades for the 2.0 T and the 3.0T Diesel. Between after market companies rushing to produce I.C. upgrades, larger piping, intakes, exhausts, programmers, lite weight pulley, changing out plugs, larger injectors, boost controllers, ect. ect. The motors will be so much more powerful, and fun to drive, regardless of the stock HP ratings

Last edited:

TxTravisty

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if that ties back into the lifestyle thing, where if a girl drives one she thinks it sends the message about her, that she is outdoorsy in hopes of attracting a suitable mate who is also "outdoorsy". Jeeps are almost more status symbols than anything else these days.
I think there are defiantly hardcore off road ladies out there... just like there guys that do it all the time, but sadly it is few and far between... makes the "unicorns" that much more awesome though, like ladies that change their own oil, and work on the vehicles. I cant remember even seeing a jeep in my area covered head to toe in mud.. My brother has a lifted 4x4 truck on 35"s and off roads that sucker, with his friends who all own 4x4 trucks, a few weekends a month, sometimes more. Every time we go out, I am left scratching my head like, why am I not seeing JEEPs out here?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I think there are defiantly hardcore off road ladies out there... just like there guys that do it all the time, but sadly it is few and far between... makes the "unicorns" that much more awesome though, like ladies that change their own oil, and work on the vehicles. I cant remember even seeing a jeep in my area covered head to toe in mud.. My brother has a lifted 4x4 truck on 35"s and off roads that sucker, with his friends who all own 4x4 trucks, a few weekends a month, sometimes more. Every time we go out, I am left scratching my head like, why am I not seeing JEEPs out here?
The Jeeps are all WAY higher and further up the mountain than you and your trucker friends... :cwl::cwl::cwl:

Last edited:

TxTravisty

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Jeeps are all WAY hugher and further up the mountain than you and your trucker friends... :cwl::cwl::cwl:
No doubt, it is flat as phaque here at sea level... just saying there are sooo many jeeps driving around town, and hardly any out playing on the " trails" (term used loosely for my location) or mud. Now that being said, there are some really awesome custom 1 off rigs we see out all the time, built by local jeep shops, but I would not put them in the same category as a "jeep", more of a custom crawler.
I just remember in high school we would look for any reason to take my buddies 2 door jeep off road... slightest rain and it was covered in mud... don't see that here. Mainly just sparkling clean jeeps in the grocery store parking lot.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
When (not if) I spend $40k on a new Jeep, it won't see mud pits or high desert pin stripes for a LONG LOOOONG time. Like after it's paid off (which is also WAY out of warranty). It will, however, see LOTS of dirt, in the form of access roads and unimproved mountain passes as well as legal but non-refugee camping (we call typical NFS/Thousand Trails/KOA camping more of a refugee scene). It will be more than a grocery getter, but treated like a collector's car. Mostly...

Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I like to wheel my Jeep, it's the main reason I buy a Wrangler. But I have to off road with the thought in my mind that I have to get to work on Monday with that Jeep so sometimes the bypass is best.

JDMRN81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU, 2018 GC Altitude
Occupation
RN, doctoral student
Why buy a jeep, if you're going to keep it on pavement it's whole life? It's like buying a truck, and never putting anything in the bed. Such a waste! And if you can afford such a waste, then you can afford to have a $30k vehicle as a toy.
Because what other vehicle can I take the doors and tops off, the carpet out, and pull the drain plugs the entire summer in the northeast.....while also having the capability to conquer the snow in the northeast during the winter? Never understood why people question others on how they spend their money.

Now back to the original topic. These diesel options certainly intrigue me to the point I'm going to wait until their release before I decide which power plant to go with on my new JLU.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Never seen what kinds of girls drive Wranglers in L.A., have you?

I assure you, outdoorsy to many of them is walking to the vehicle, not having the valet fetch it. :giggle:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
There are a few "Offroad" girls that drive Wranglers here in Boise, but the majority are the Northface wearing hiking/yoga types that are common in cites around the PNW. While somewhat high maint, they at least like the outdoors and some even like camping :involve:
Sponsored