Panel-Hardtop Theory

Hotplate51

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys
The entire roof coming off was already known. My theory was and is that the rear panels are removable aside from the entire roof, leaving behind a "cage" like structure.

IMG_5189.JPG
I agree 100%. Horizontal "3 piece top" comes off. Then envision taking off the three vertical panels. First release some latches on the vertical corners -- something like the latches that secure the freedom panels. Then individually lift off the three vertical panels much like taking out the window panels on JK half doors. There would be vertical "pins" on the panels that slide out of receptacles in the body of the Jeep. I believe the same concept will be in place for fiberglass hard top panels as well as canvas soft top panels.
Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
What's the fear of adding a C-pillar into the cage for the JLU? Then the cage extension to the rear of the Jeep could be more sharp. Plus the side panel windows would have something to attach to along the upper door.

Similar to the b-pillar they already use. Just another by the rear doors.

Also the frameless soft tops wouldn't have to a sloped back.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
What's the fear of adding a C-pillar into the cage for the JLU?
i feel like many just wouldn't like the styling to look any more similar to an XJ / SUV.

In terms of functionality during a rollover, is there any advantage to having a sloped rear section, versus a right angle ?

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah that's true. I hate how my rear doors close and wiggle when the roof if off my JK and I don't have the soft top door surrounds on. If there was an actual C pillar, the whole door surround for the soft top could be eliminated - if the roll cage incorporated the door surrounds for the soft top.

As for the slope - maybe. Makes sense. The 3 squares (driver, back seat, and cargo) would be an indefinite structure that could fold like a house of cards.

square.png

Between the sloped windshield and the sloped cargo cage, the passengers are essentially housed in a trapezoid - which is better.

large-trapezoid-for-pattern-block-set-clipart-etc-xh7hHP-clipart-300x131.gif

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
^Yeah, instinct told me having open angles (not necessarily same degree) in the trapezoid style, would give more rigidity during a roll over than a pure rectangle would.

So I'll bet if we ever see a light, unibody wrangler, with a fixed roof, it will be targa top shaped.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I’d bet that some of y’all feel real stupid right now. Panel hardtop theory is no longer a theory, although it only applies to the “power” roof.

52E8B437-CA16-4EA5-9791-D190D4323BD8.jpeg

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I’d bet that some of y’all feel real stupid right now. Panel hardtop theory is no longer a theory, although it only applies to the “power” roof.

52E8B437-CA16-4EA5-9791-D190D4323BD8.jpeg
You mean like the "true 3 piece" hard top is actually more than 3 pieces? :giggle:

freegld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I'm still hoping (long shot, I know) that the true hard top allows for the rear quarters to be removed, just like the power top, even though it's not written that way in the owners manual. It just doesn't make sense to not have that, from an engineering, manufacturing, and a consistent aesthetic/appearance standpoint.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I'm still hoping (long shot, I know) that the true hard top allows for the rear quarters to be removed, just like the power top, even though it's not written that way in the owners manual. It just doesn't make sense to not have that, from an engineering, manufacturing, and a consistent aesthetic/appearance standpoint.
Keep hoping...

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I saw no mention of the rumored glass roof. Aventus is disappointed I am sure.

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
^Quite.
Jeep is asleep if they don't see the youth market potential for:

1. "stow and go" "three equal sunroof panels" body color hard top, as hinted at in the best JLU renders.

2. Khaki hemp Soft top featuring multiple sunroof panels in same clear vinyl soft top windows are made of.

3. Factory soft doors, in matching khaki hemp

4. Eco diesel or full electric engine

5. Factory hyperlite hyperslim pop-up camper OR factory memory foam mattress for when flush-folding rear seat is down, on JLU.

freegld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
The youth markets that they are overlooking are the college folks living in dorms and apartments, and young professionals living in the city parking on the street.

I posted on the other wrangler forum the patent I found that details a design where the hardtop is removed in pieces and fits in the cargo area. That solves the problem of having to store the hardtop somewhere, and one person can remove it. Not everyone has a garage with a hoist system. And nobody wants to have to run down a friend every time you want the top off. You also get the security of the hardtop and not have to worry about waking in the morning with your softop slashed.

This whole process, I thought the hardtop was going in that direction, only to find out their solution to this was a power top with a non removable top, which is anti-wrangler hertitage if you ask me. And if it has a canvas roof, it's still not that secure.

Am I pissed? Oh yea

In case any is interested
https://www.google.com/patents/US8408623

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't pretend to know more about marketing than Jeep. They've taken Wrangler sales to the moom with the JK. I also don't want them turning this thing into something that isn't a Jeep. I think they've hit the right balance of utility, comfort, and features, while keeping its iconic heritage and beastly off-road capability. I don't need this thing to act like an off-road mini van or Cadillac CTS. If they start targeting college kids or some other particular group, they'll lose everyone else and probably even the group they are targeting. People are buying Wranglers for what they are, not to be something else.

My children go nutty for Jeep rides because they love to go top down and doors off. (Lower 1/2 soft door on in the rear of my JK), and they LOVE going off-road. They could care less about vents in the rear of the center column, reading lights, or a reclining rear seat back. Heck, they don't even have much to say about the color, either. They don't seem to care when I ask them.

I'm glad they didn't screw it up, as the CEO promised. If they did, I was going to either go with another JK.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
^Quite.
Jeep is asleep if they don't see the youth market potential for:

1. "stow and go" "three equal sunroof panels" body color hard top, as hinted at in the best JLU renders.

2. Khaki hemp Soft top featuring multiple sunroof panels in same clear vinyl soft top windows are made of.

3. Factory soft doors, in matching khaki hemp

4. Eco diesel or full electric engine

5. Factory hyperlite hyperslim pop-up camper OR factory memory foam mattress for when flush-folding rear seat is down, on JLU.
If there was such a huge demand for these things, Bestop would have released at least some of them by now.
Sponsored