Sponsored

2018 Wrangler Drops Camo, Shows Backup Camera, Roofline, Grab Handles, Signs of Foldable Windshield

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
That windshield looks like it's primed to be easily folded or removed! Huge grab handles attached to the inside of windshield frame (for ease of lowering?) and if I'm seeing it correctly the rear view mirrors are mounted to ceiling.
If true that's smart design. Handles serve both as Oh-Shit bars and handles to help operate the windshield folding.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
New Rubicon wheels are actually not bad looking .... the Sahara / Sport ones are a bit ugly IMO.

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
A few things:

- I see no visible indication of a fold-down windshield, though the base of the A-pillar is well camo'd. Seems like there aren't many people that use the fold-down feature of the windshield for Jeep to want to keep it around.
- The JLU with the elevated ride height seems to be sporting "35's going by a spot-of-the-eye guesstimate
- Not sure about this: It appears the flares on the raised JLU are a little different from the one w/ the more "standard" ride height.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
@Cal_JLU I was informed of this while visiting the AllPar forums..

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler Drops Camo, Shows Backup Camera, Roofline, Grab Handles, Signs of Foldable Windshield {filename}

Look close right below the wiper blades & in front of the antenna..
keeping the fold down windshield likely enhances the open air feel when doors are removed and roof panels are taken out, enough to please the crowd who is skeptical of the new roof structure.

Sponsored

Wagler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Altitude 2013 Yamaha FZ8
My $.02 on most recent photos:
  • The backup camera could just be for testing purposes - has to be nearly impossible to see out that back window with all the drapes on the back end. Would be very surprised if it came to production; even more so if it ended up in center of the spare.
  • I don't buy those side steps at all. I'd bet they're just on there for camo purposes and to throw off on-lookers.
  • The zipper on the back cover is opens on the same side as my JKU, so the tailgate/ window could be the same as JK with that zipper configuration. Drop down tailgate would be cool but they'd have to do a swing-away tire carrier or similar.
  • Would love for Jeep to ditch the dissimilar metals between door and door hinge. My 2012 is already showing corrosion.
  • A-pillar handle. Not a fan. At all.
  • No more roll bar? Errrrrrrrrrrrrr...buying a 2017 on principle.
  • Remember 2007 redesign and the improvements that followed in what, 2011 or 2012 - second generation interior and ditched the minivan 3.8 for the pentastar? Eager to see what 2018 looks like but I won't buy until ~5 years into this generation when the bugs get worked out.

F1Mark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ
All 2018 and forward vehicles are required to have backup cameras so it's no surprise.

I'm not sure what the big issue is with the running boards. They look fine for factory ones to me. I'll probably swap them for steel side armor that actually protects the jeep.

I'm not sure if you need to wait 5 years for them to work out the kinks. We're all in trouble if it takes them that long lol. By that point there's probably going to be new engines and new kinks to work out.

Sport11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I'm glad to see the folding windshield might be staying. I've never used mine but don't want to see the JL become any less useful or lose the special unique features that make up the sum of what a Wrangler is.

Sponsored

MDWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ, Dodge Journey, Toyota Corolla
@JLWranglerJT @Wagler it is required by law to have a backup camera, just another regulation Obama wanted that is going to cause the cost of the new Wrangler to go up.

I had steprails on my YJ I used those often enough where I would say that they were worth it. Yes they were the factory standard step rails. they were even with the bottom of the tub and stayed out of the way when wheeling. If the new Wrangler comes with that type of rail I can bet a bunch of people will view this as a premium addition.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
I'm glad to see the folding windshield might be staying. I've never used mine but don't want to see the JL become any less useful or lose the special unique features that make up the sum of what a Wrangler is.
I know one single local owner that's folded down his windshield and even then it was just for fun and to have said he did it before. Fact is most of us just want it for nostalgia and to say/think that our Wranglers can do it. But hey if Jeep has made it MUCH easier to fold down the windshield on the JL I bet we'll see lots more owners doing it, maybe even including myself.

FiftyFive0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Chevy Tahoe
It's a cool new design but only useful on the trails since driving around without a windshield is just not safe or practical. I hope they've put as much work into this as they have making sure the roof comes off easier because that is a feature I would actually use.

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
I agree. To me this hopefully signals that they are keeping all the key features that make a wrangler a wrangler like removable doors, soft top, removable hard top with 'roll bar' look (I hope) and not jeep liberty flex top look.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I know one single local owner that's folded down his windshield and even then it was just for fun and to have said he did it before. Fact is most of us just want it for nostalgia and to say/think that our Wranglers can do it. But hey if Jeep has made it MUCH easier to fold down the windshield on the JL I bet we'll see lots more owners doing it, maybe even including myself.
It seems like it would be very helpful on a safari / hunting trip, where one could fire from the drivers seat then chase down the prey immediately with the vehicle if the shot wasn't K5.
Sponsored