Sponsored

2018 Wrangler Drops Camo, Shows Backup Camera, Roofline, Grab Handles, Signs of Foldable Windshield

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Update - Feb. 27, 2017

The 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited prototype has been spotted again providing the clearest looks yet at the roofline, windows, grab handles and ever-so-slightly visible top.

These new photos provide a clear look at signs of a prominent hood bulge, larger and longer air dam below the front bumper that extends much lower to the ground, and the large A-pillar mounted grab handles on the driver and passenger side.

Our sources have indicated that the JL will not only retain a foldable windshield, but Jeep has actually redesigned Wrangler to make it easier to fold up and down. The large grab handles are positioned as such to do double duty-- used as traditional grab bars for ingress and egress and when things get rough on the trail, as well as serving as a handle for lowering and raising the windshield from the interior. To make it even more convenient, the rearview mirror mount has been moved to the ceiling (as opposed to being mounted on the current model), as clearly shown in the photos.

The fenders on the JL Wrangler appear to arch higher on the vehicle and have been reshaped for a more rounded look. In fact, many of the JLU's edges have been rounded for better aerodynamics, from the fenders to the windows, roofline and overall silhouette.

There are also hints of the new black roof panels and though not much else can be discerned from the thin sheet of roof we see, we can tell that the ribs are similar to the current Wrangler's Freedom hardtop. Along with the folding windshield, this points to a highly open-air design.

Here's what's clearly seen in these new images:
  • prominent hood bulge
  • larger and longer air dam/skid plate that extends much lower to the ground
  • large A-pillar grab handles on the driver and passenger side
  • rearview mirror mounted to the roof instead of the windshield
  • reshaped, more rounded fenders that appear to arch higher on the vehicle
  • rounded windows
  • hints of black roof panels

Update - Feb. 26, 2017

Our photos also reveal a new interior feature -- grab handles mounted on the A-pillar.
They appear to be large and robust. It remains to be seen whether there will also be handles mounted in back for rear passengers.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler Drops Camo, Shows Backup Camera, Roofline, Grab Handles, Signs of Foldable Windshield {filename}

Original post - Feb. 24, 2017

Our spies have just caught the 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) out testing with a lot less of its disguise, showing for the first time an almost naked view of its side body panels, windows, door cut lines and roof line.

While the overall design of the four-door JL Wrangler does not appear to stray far from the outgoing model, a few key differences can be seen from this prototype that still remains largely concealed.

First, as expected the windshield and A-pillar have a noticeable rake, angling downward by a few degrees compared to the JK Wrangler. The JL’s new running board is also visible and shows a wider and tougher looking part with a step surface that runs the entire length of the front and rear fenders (unlike the JKU which has unusable contours near the fenders and between the front/rear doors). The running boards appear to be made from the same thick blow-molded textured plastic as that of the current model which should match the fenders on trims not equipped with body colored fenders.

Both the door handles and hinges are covered up but suggest that the exterior door hinges will remain (and be as easily removable as the current model). The doors work their way up to the bottom edge of the roof line which appears to be largely unchanged and hints at a removable hard top on this prototype. The JL's drip rails also extend the entire length of the roof to the tailgate as opposed to the current JKU's rails that terminate after the rear doors.

The tires spotted on this prototype are 18" Bridgestone Dueler A/T, the same tires as equipped on the current JK Wrangler Sahara. Previous JL/JLU prototypes have worn 17" BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires.

The 18" wheels, Bridgestone Dueler tires, and running boards point to this as a Sahara edition JLU.

The rear is still heavily covered in thick camouflage but peeking out from underneath is at least one new feature, a backup camera, that will be a first for the Jeep Wrangler.

Compare to previous spied prototypes:
http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...Strip-and-Headlights-Brightly-Lit-and-Exposed
http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...uction-Grille-Exposed-Testing-in-Death-Valley

New photos from Feb. 27

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler Drops Camo, Shows Backup Camera, Roofline, Grab Handles, Signs of Foldable Windshield {filename}

Original photos from Feb. 24

COMPARISON TO JK WRANGLER:

Sponsored

Last edited:

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Finally! Why still the heavy camo covering the entire rear end. Surprise in store for pillar design, rear window shape, or rear gate?

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
I like the running boards hope they come standard.

Can't make out what tires those are tho. Doesn't look like the BF Goodrich ones on the earlier prototype.

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
Raised vent on the hood? Or maybe air is getting under the camoflage and raising it up.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I like the running boards hope they come standard.

Can't make out what tires those are tho. Doesn't look like the BF Goodrich ones on the earlier prototype.
Just going to post the same comment .... not BFGs on this :(

Maybe the BFGs will be on Rubicon models and this is a Sahara?

Sponsored

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Finally! Why still the heavy camo covering the entire rear end. Surprise in store for pillar design, rear window shape, or rear gate?
Could be hiding how the new multi piece roof will look and work.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Roof looks a lot the same which I'm surprised about, but I think I see a bulge around the rear window which mean that the camo might be covering up the removable panels.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

The running boards look much more useable. More surface area and they're deeper too.

I'm calling it now - full swing out door and window (together). Camo seems to preview it.

Superwinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon, Yamaha Raptor 660
Nice to see new pics it's been a while. Interesting placement for the backup camera - looks like it sticks out from the center hub of the wheel, so center caps can't be installed onto the spare when it's mounted on the rear. Will have to be more careful when mounting the spare compared to the JK.

JCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The running boards look much more useable. More surface area and they're deeper too.

I'm calling it now - full swing out door and window (together). Camo seems to preview it.
I think you're right based on what looks like the zippers on the back camo. It'll be interesting to see how that is engineered with a removable hard top. I'd also assume that the flip up window would no longer be an option, which I think is a shame. I used that function a lot (for lumbar yard runs and such).

Sponsored

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I think you're right based on what looks like the zippers on the back camo. It'll be interesting to see how that is engineered with a removable hard top. I'd also assume that the flip up window would no longer be an option, which I think is a shame. I used that function a lot (for lumbar yard runs and such).
Good call on the zipper, didn't notice at first glance. I'd be ok with a full swing out door and think it'd even be kinda cool but it'd be a mistake to make the rear window fixed. If the new generation gets some kind of fixed roof structure as rumored then it'll need all the removable and open-able windows and panels possible to deliver a semblance of open air driving. That, and it'd be a downgrade from now to lose the utility from a rear window that actually opens.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I get the strong impression of far more rounded edges on this JLU. Especially roof lines, bumpers, and fenders, which is a good thing.

I also like the fog lights being slightly wider than the main headlamps, which is quite apparent.

I'm one of the dudes who doesn't like the rear door on JKU. A fold down tailgate would be much more welcome.

DropTopGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA: 2018 JL Wrangler, 2017 GS Corvette
Vehicle Showcase
Good post, thanks! I think we all are in for a real treat, better than expected.

MDWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ, Dodge Journey, Toyota Corolla
Awesome, nice to see skme more photos finally. The JLU looks extremely long compared to the JKU or is that just my imagination.