Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Here is the latest 2017-2018 Wrangler (JK, JL, JT) schedule for the Wrangler Assembly Plants.

Wrangler Assembly Plants

Current: TSP (Toledo Supplier Park - Toledo South)
  • Building 2017 JK Wranglers until 9/30/2017
  • Will build 2018 JK Wranglers starting 10/02/2017 until 3/30/2018
  • Will shut down starting 3/31/2018 for an estimated 6 months to retool for the 2019 JT Pickup which begins production in October 2018
Future: TNAP (Toledo North Assembly Plant)
  • Currently building 2017 Jeep Cherokee KL until 4/07/2017
  • Plant will shut down from 4/08/2017 until November 2017 to prepare for Wrangler JL production
  • All-New Wrangler JL will launch 11/13/2017

Note: Information is subject to change

* Updated 02/15/17 with latest info.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Thanks for the info. I read some speculation that the plant might not need more than a few weeks for retooling because they were building a facility outside the current plant for building aluminum body parts. Also that the current and new bodies would have the same BOF attachment points, allowing for a short changeover period from steel to aluminum. Good to have more details!

Taimaishu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Thanks for the info. I read some speculation that the plant might not need more than a few weeks for retooling because they were building a facility outside the current plant for building aluminum body parts. Also that the current and new bodies would have the same BOF attachment points, allowing for a short changeover period from steel to aluminum. Good to have more details!
But what does BOF attachment points have to do with changing over from steel to aluminum though? I thought none of the frame was going to be aluminum and only non structural parts would be switching to aluminum? The leaked alcoa memo mentioned front and rear door inners, hood outer and inner.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
But what does BOF attachment points have to do with changing over from steel to aluminum though? I thought none of the frame was going to be aluminum and only non structural parts would be switching to aluminum? The leaked alcoa memo mentioned front and rear door inners, hood outer and inner.
It's based on the fact that steel dust can contaminate any aluminum parts causing it to corrode and any paint applied on top of the contaminated parts to erode the paint. This means they have to build a clean room attached to the paint shop to thoroughly clean the aluminum parts prior to painting.

If they can use the new facility to do so the existing line can avoid a prolonged plant shutdown if the tooling for the JK and JL can be married. Theory being it's possible if they have the same BOF attachment points. That's how I understood it at least but this may have been more relevant if the JL was going to be an all aluminum body. Now that we know it isn't it may be a moot point and from the info posted in the OP it seems the second line will be shutting down for a very long time before JL production starts.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

Wow that's a long shut down for Toledo North. Only 1 to 2 months for the current line? i'm no expert on this but for all new model that sounds like a quick retooling time. Another sign it won't be a drastic change I would think.

Sponsored

F1Mark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ
Any word on where the JT will be built? Will additional retooling have to be done when it launches or will the shut down for JL tooling take care of that?

Milous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Any word on where the JT will be built? Will additional retooling have to be done when it launches or will the shut down for JL tooling take care of that?
JT = current plant (Toledo Supplier Park) after retooling.

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Update/Revision:

• Will shut down starting 3/31/2018 for an estimated 3-4 months or longer to retool for the 2019 JT Pickup

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
The pickup is really starting production in mid 2018?? I want to believe that sooo bad.

Sponsored

Cam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In between Wranglers right now
Update/Revision:

• Will shut down starting 3/31/2018 for an estimated 3-4 months or longer to retool for the 2019 JT Pickup
So only JT Wrangler pickup will be built on Toledo South line after it stops making the JK? If thats the case they must be different enough in production to not use the extra capacity to also build the JL or JLU on the same line as the JT.

jb1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ Wrangler
The pickup is really starting production in mid 2018?? I want to believe that sooo bad.
It says "starting 3/31/2018 for an estimated 3-4 months or longer" so it could be August or later based on that. With a totally new vehicle I would always err on later. It might end up only a month or so earlier than what most people expected.

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Most likely a little later, still trying to narrow it down.
Keep us posted please! I can hold off until summer but if closer to winter I may give in and look at a RAM 1500. I'm hoping the JT is a serious pickup and not one of these JK conversions out there now.

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
So only JT Wrangler pickup will be built on Toledo South line after it stops making the JK? If thats the case they must be different enough in production to not use the extra capacity to also build the JL or JLU on the same line as the JT.
I hope it is true and if it is kudos to FCA for not being lazy or cutting corners with the JT. It's the best way to ensure big pickup sales to justify it's own line in Toledo.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Keep us posted please! I can hold off until summer but if closer to winter I may give in and look at a RAM 1500. I'm hoping the JT is a serious pickup and not one of these JK conversions out there now.
Its not going to be full size. No way FCA will canibalize their Ram sales .... the JT will be 100% a Tacoma / Canyon / Colorado / Ranger competitor of similar size. So if your not happy with the AEV Brute I doubt you'll be happy with it.
Sponsored