Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

sportcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars? A Jeep isn't a "car"
Next gen diesel in 2020. Hopefully current 3.0 Ecodiesel in 2017.
2017 is JK model, no diesel for USA, only export.

2018 JL model confirmed no diesel for USA, still only export.

2019 JL diesel for USA is questionable

Sponsored

Last edited:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
If no diesel and no truck till 2019 at the earliest I might be looking at other options as I'm not sure I want to wait another 2 years. I was hoping for a reveal at Detroit to keep me interested and holding out, but at this point I might be looking at the 1500 with AEV's new set up or possibly ordering a Raptor.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

2019 JK diesel for USA is questionable

I meant 2018. If true, this is a dark day for me, because I'll have to wait another 2 years for the Jeep I've been wanting for, well, forever. I doubt I'll still be so enthused at that point, but you never know.

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
2019 JK? Thought the JK/JL would overlap by months or at most a whole model year. Am I missing something?

snakevsplane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

2019 JL diesel for USA is questionable

"2018 JL model confirmed no diesel for USA, still only export"

Where was this confirmed?

From the first post on this thread:

"New Features (for North America):

• New ZF 8 Speed Transmission
  • 2.0L "Hurricane" Turbo Engine (with new 850RE transmission) (visual confirmation)
  • 3.0L VM Diesel Engine (with new 8HP75 transmission)"
I notice that it implies North America will receive 3.0L VM Diesel Engine.

Am I missing something here?

Sponsored

sportcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

• 2.0L "Hurricane" Turbo Engine (with new 850RE transmission) (visual confirmation)

Milous @ jeepgarage confirmed no diesel 2018 JL for USA.

snakevsplane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
could you link to this post of milous @ jeepgarage confirming?

kinda strange because all other sources i see indicate the diesel for 2018.

sportcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Emoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, Camaro SS
Auto 4WD would be a mistake for the wrangler. This would require a clutch operated transfer case that wears out over time. I doubt they would put in a transfer case like that. The RAM 1500 has 2 different transfer cases available based on model. 4WD Lock only in the Outdoorsman/tradesman which is much more solid than the transfer case in all the other models which has an auto 4wd option
Not sure what you mean by "Auto 4WD". My 2002 Liberty has a transfer case with 2WD, 4WD Lo, 4WD Hi, and FullTime 4WD. In FullTime 4WD the transfer case is open. In either of the Part-Time 4WD settings, the transfer case is locked so that front and rear move at the same speed. At 173,000 miles, my transfer case is still going strong, so am not clear on how it would be problematic for a Wrangler to have that feature set. The Part-Time 4WD settings are for off-road, and the FullTime 4WD is excellent for road driving in bad weather conditions.

Sponsored

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Looking forward to the new 8 speed. From what I've experienced the ZF 8 speed is about the best auto available. But it's not exactly a new transmission so why haven't we seen it in the latest JK models?

Emoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, Camaro SS
Looking forward to the new 8 speed. From what I've experienced the ZF 8 speed is about the best auto available. But it's not exactly a new transmission so why haven't we seen it in the latest JK models?
I think the answer to that is that they sell every JK they can make, so there is little pressure to make changes. Cynical, moi? ;)

I suspect that the ZF 8-speed may be a somewhat different size than the current slushbox, making it a much larger job to use in the current platform. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me (read: most of you!) can verify that.

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
I think the answer to that is that they sell every JK they can make, so there is little pressure to make changes. Cynical, moi? ;)

I suspect that the ZF 8-speed may be a somewhat different size than the current slushbox, making it a much larger job to use in the current platform. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me (read: most of you!) can verify that.
@Emoto has it right, the ZF 8 speed simply doesn't fit the JK. It's going to blow away the current 5 speed.

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
@Emoto has it right, the ZF 8 speed simply doesn't fit the JK. It's going to blow away the current 5 speed.
Yea too bad for Wrangler fans cuz if it could fit they would have done it. The Charger and Challenger had the space so they got upgraded from the 5 speed to the ZF 8 speed.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR

I've read more forums and internet sites that say the diesel will most likely be developed for the U.S. 2018 JL Wrangler compared to the one blog here that says it's not coming until the 2020 model year. "Most likely" is not a definite fact so we shall soon see if they're b-essing us again.

As of this date, the exact statement of a 6 speed transmission capability with the ecodiesel has not been fully decided by FCA. This link. "https://blog.extremeterrain.com/201...nual-confirmed-for-the-2018-jl-jeep-wrangler/" explicitly shows a new 6 speed manual transmission shifter in the picture. As some of us know, I had direct knowledge of my own with the previous ownership of a 2012 JK equipped manual tranny, these transmissions were not the best. The fact that a manual tranny would be compact enough, compared to the 8 speed auto, could also mean FCA's design has begun or could be complete to incorporate a manual with the diesel. Obviously this transmission would have to be strong enough to withstand the excellent 420 ft/lbs torque related to the ecodiesel.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.