Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrashBurn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150
These are confirmed AUTOMATIC transmissions.... Do we have confirmation on the Manual transmissions available???

Are they still going with the NSG370 6-spd?? What about Diesel/Manual combos?

Thanks,
BD
Has to be coming. I think the list just includes 'new' things the car will get. Would be a cardinal sin if they abandoned 6sped manual on the Wrangler.
Sponsored

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

Question.. the press launch is not the same thing as the reveal right? It wouldn't make sense for order banks to open before they show the JL. Any info on when it will be revealed?
Press launch could mean the actual press drives for journalists. In which case its possible they reveal the JL, specs and pricing online (and open order banks) before even having the press drives.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
This might be the most exciting news for me in this list, and might sway me to wait for the JL instead of picking up a late model JK at a discount. This kind of configuration versatility is what's going to keep Wrangler sales chugging, even when/if the Ford Bronco is revived.

Rumors are that the folding windshield is going away, is that true?
The folding windshield is gone. It makes sense from a cost/benefit perspective because it is significantly more difficult and expensive to design and manufacture a folding windshield than a fixed windshield, especially when you consider that it is an integral part of the rollover protection and chassis stability. I've wheeled my old CJ5, a couple of TJs, and our JKUR with the window down and each time I was quickly reminded that it is simply a novelty.

Ford isn't going to revive the Bronco, at least not in a package that threatens the Wrangler. Designing a vehicle with removable doors and a removable top is no small feat, especially if you want it to be capable off road and not kill CAFE numbers. Ford would be foolish to spend the money without being sure that people would buy it.

I think that's how the product planners will position the engines. Standard base engine will be the 2.0L Turbo and the V6 will be an extra cost upgrade, OR they could decide to package each engine with a certain model (and you can't upgrade).
That's A LOT of plumbing... could this be the diesel engine instead?
I have my doubts. Tuned to 300hp it will not be more efficient or more affordable IMO. I think they might sell this as an upgrade option.
The standard will be whatever gets the best mpgs, which will almost certainly be the 4 pot. It really doesn't matter what an engine gets in the real world, as far as CAFE is concerned, it only matters what happens when it is tested. The official tests never really get vehicles into high RPMs, so turbos tend to do well in them. On the real world, it is often a different story, as my buddies with EcoBoost F150s can tell you.

The plumbing is due to it being pre-production. There are typically a lot of sensors that won't make it on a production version. Additionally, the plumbing is often routed in the easiest way, without considering the cost to do so. Production versions will be much cleaner.

I'm thinking Jeep will add some power to the Pentastar V6, especially if the turbo'd 4 is going to make close to 300HP. Getting more power out of the Pentastar will be easy - simply adding direct injection is sufficient to get it above 330hp/300tq. Cylinder deactivation can be used to squeeze a few more mpgs out as well

New engine, new drive train and such is what I had expected. But I am disappointed at Jeeps crummy lights and lack of a steel bumpers. I feel that LED lighting inside and out should be standard and at least a steel bumper as an option on all models.

The plastic bumpers on the Wranglers are worthless.
I'm with you on the lights, but don't forget that this is pre-production. We have no clue what lights will be included. Jeep already makes a DOT approved LED upgrade for the JK, so I imagine that they'll be available as an option at least. LED marker lights really have no benefit, other than for packaging. When they first came out, they were new and cool, but they're standard on KIAs now, so the cool factor is long gone.

Plastic bumpers are brilliant on the Wrangler. They are cheaper, weigh less, and perform better than steel bumpers. They don't cost anything in terms of sales because anyone who really wants steel bumpers was likely to swap them for aftermarket bumpers anyways.

Cost:
I would imagine that on a high volume vehicle such as the Wrangler, the plastic bumpers save $100 - $150 per vehicle when compared to steel. Is that a huge deal? Not really until you figure that sells 250,000/year, that turns into a $25,000,000 savings for Jeep. That is a big deal for any company. Jeep exists to make money. When you can make $25,000,000 and not impact the quality of your product, it is a no brainer.

Weight:
Plastic bumpers probably weigh 20 pounds less per bumper. 40 pounds doesn't sound like a lot, but it absolutely matters. Most estimates say that every hundred pounds taken out of a vehicle improves mileage between 1-2%. That means the 40 pounds improve mileage between .5 - 1%. Is that a lot? No, but it adds up. Manufacturers spend a lot of money designing and engineering vehicles to get better mileage, when you find a solution that increases profit by $25,000,000 AND improves mileage, that is an easy decision.

Of course less weight helps both on and off road performance. Colin Chapman was famous for the following statement (paraphrasing): "Driving involves 3 main tasks, accelerating, braking, and turning. Adding power helps with the first, subtract weight helps with all of them." When you make a vehicle lighter, it accelerates faster, turns more effectively, and stops quicker.

Safety:

In terms of crashworthiness, a bumper is a sacrificial component. With that in mind, it is much easier to design a plastic bumper that absorbs energy than a steel one.

I LOVE the plastic bumpers. Why? Because they're disposable. Someone hit your bumper? $50 on Craigslist will buy you a brand new one. I once watched a conversion van back into our JKUR ~6 times while he was trying to parallel park. The only damage was a bit of deformation which I was able to take out, leaving only a bit of a crease. A steel bumper would have needed replacem

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
The folding windshield is gone. It makes sense from a cost/benefit perspective because it is significantly more difficult and expensive to design and manufacture a folding windshield than a fixed windshield, especially when you consider that it is an integral part of the rollover protection and chassis stability. I've wheeled my old CJ5, a couple of TJs, and our JKUR with the window down and each time I was quickly reminded that it is simply a novelty.
Yep funny though how one of the most iconic looks of the Wrangler is also totally impractical and not often used. My guess is while you are right about cost cutting reasons it is also because it's become a dispensable feature.

Ford isn't going to revive the Bronco, at least not in a package that threatens the Wrangler. Designing a vehicle with removable doors and a removable top is no small feat, especially if you want it to be capable off road and not kill CAFE numbers. Ford would be foolish to spend the money without being sure that people would buy it.
This I'm not so sure about. I think you can say that about any new vehicle but Wrangler sales #s and the lack of competitors are proof that obviously a lot of people would buy this type of vehicle. They might fail doing it since the Wrangler has the secret sauce and street cred in actually building one but don't forget the Bronco has the name and hype behind it too. I've been keeping up on the rumors and Ford guys are pretty riled up about it possibly returning. I think FCA would be foolish to not prepare for the competition.

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
The standard will be whatever gets the best mpgs, which will almost certainly be the 4 pot. It really doesn't matter what an engine gets in the real world, as far as CAFE is concerned, it only matters what happens when it is tested. The official tests never really get vehicles into high RPMs, so turbos tend to do well in them. On the real world, it is often a different story, as my buddies with EcoBoost F150s can tell you.

I'm thinking Jeep will add some power to the Pentastar V6, especially if the turbo'd 4 is going to make close to 300HP. Getting more power out of the Pentastar will be easy - simply adding direct injection is sufficient to get it above 330hp/300tq. Cylinder deactivation can be used to squeeze a few more mpgs out as well
Different company and car, but someone brought up the Ford Mustang Ecoboost turbo model... it gets better MPG than the V6 model but isn't priced as the cheapest 'base' model. The V6 model is on that car. I happen to also think that the hurricane engine will probably be the standard engine for the JL, but just thinking of examples where the most efficient engine isn't necessarily the base engine.

With the 4 pot rumored to be 300hp, they'll definitely upgrade the V6 (which the new features list mentions). They'd have to give it 310-330hp to justify its additional cost to customers.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Its weird that this still will not be shown till late next year. I was hoping for a Jan (Detroit Autoshow) reveal. Look at the Raptor that was shown at Detroit, and pricing still isn't out for it yet.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

That's Ford, seems to happen a lot with them. I was shopping for a mustang and pricing and full specs weren't released for 3-4 months after the reveal. Crazy because I think order banks had opened.

Im hoping for a 17 NY auto show reveal.

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
Its weird that this still will not be shown till late next year. I was hoping for a Jan (Detroit Autoshow) reveal. Look at the Raptor that was shown at Detroit, and pricing still isn't out for it yet.
Im hoping for a 17 NY auto show reveal.
Well one of you two will be right - Detroit and NY shows are the two big shows and both are before the September launch date.

But, by the way that spy pics and info is being posted around here lately, we'll have seen the full production car and know all the specs before its official debut lol.

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
Most JK owners have no idea how to fold down the windshield, some may not even know it has that ability. It's not crucial but the removable top and doors are and those better stay.

I would guess it's not just about cost of designing a folding windshield but that the greater rake makes for design/structural issues that make it more difficult or impractical to implement.

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
I think the power soft top will be like the sliding accordion style one on the Liberty.

JL-jeep-wrangler-sliding-roof-open.jpg

JL-jeep-wrangler-sliding-roof-open1.jpg

Sponsored

MrDinkMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
Honestly as long the power mechanism is done right it should work fine. Convertibles don't usually have much issue with their tops anymore so the folding mechanism for the JL should be reliable. Since the Wrangler doesn't have a traditional trunk for the soft top to be retracted into and stored, will it end up working like a Fiat 500 Convertible where the top is drawn back and just sits at the back of the car all scrunched up and exposed? Never liked how that looks and seems like it gets in the way.

This is what I mean.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL / JLU) and 2019 Pickup (JT) Info Specs Compilation {filename}
Would you guys be ok if the JL had this type of roof structure where it's all completely open except for the two side pillars that extend all the way from front to back?

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
The ZF 8 speed is about the best autos out there so good choice.

jakay11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2016 Porsche Cayman G
Please say there is a Manual Transmission option - a must for off-road use!
Removable soft top?
towing capacity? (Hopefully, at least 7500# with the diesel, 5000# for the V6)

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Please say there is a Manual Transmission option - a must for off-road use!
Removable soft top?
towing capacity? (Hopefully, at least 7500# with the diesel, 5000# for the V6)
One reason I think we'll see a manual in the 2018 Jeep Wrangler is because the company hopes to sell more Wranglers overseas. The JL is supposed to be more global (i.e. european bumpers, more efficient engine offered), but if they want to sell this car well outside of north america (especially Europe) they'll need to offer it with a manual, or good luck increasing sales figures!

Macman1138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Call of Duty Black Ops
I think any Nav system that would Apple Carplay would be a great big step forward.

Now having said that, I am very happy with the 430N in my Call Of Duty.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.